Fraser Public Schools
Procedures and Rules for the Acceptable Use of the MacBook
1. The use of the MacBook is a privilege and with that privilege all users have no expectation of privacy in e-mail, data on the MacBook or server, network communications, Internet use, video recording, and all other technologies available on or through the MacBook. The School District is the owner of the MacBook and therefore all users understand that their use of the MacBook can and may be strictly monitored electronically or otherwise by School District personnel at any time.
2. Users shall not install any software on the MacBook or download any applications without the prior permission of the School District’s [Director of Technology].
3. The student is not permitted to install software on the assigned MacBook from other iCloud / App Store accounts nor connect the MacBook to a computer with a different iCloud / App Store account configured on it.
4. Use of the MacBook for fraudulent or illegal copying, communication, taking or modification of material in violation of law is prohibited and will be referred to federal authorities. The illegal use of copyrighted software is prohibited. The School District upholds the copyright laws of the United States as they apply to computer programs or licenses owned or licensed by the School District. Such action is also governed by the School District policy.
5. Users shall not knowingly or intentionally introduce a virus, worm, Trojan horse, rootkit, or engage in any other malicious action affecting the MacBook.
6. Users shall not attempt to obtain any other user’s password(s) and shall not read, copy or alter other user’s data without their permission. Users shall not intentionally seek information, obtain copies of, or modify files, other data or passwords belonging to other users, or misrepresent other users on the MacBook.
7. Users shall not knowingly or intentionally allow other users to use their identity/password(s) to access School District technology resources and computer systems, or app store accounts. All users shall maintain the security and confidentiality of their identity/password(s). Users shall not use a MacBook or app store account that has been logged in under another user’s name. Users shall immediately notify the School District if a security problem is suspected or identified.
8. Users shall not use the MacBook for purposes other than for School District-related business. The MacBook shall not be used for illegal activity, for-profit purposes, lobbying, campaigning, advertising, fundraising, transmitting offensive materials, hate mail, mass e-mailing, discriminating remarks, or obtaining or sending obscene or pornographic material.
9. Users shall not use the MacBook to harass or intimidate.
10. Users shall not download or install any programs, files, technology, games or other electronic media without the written permission of the School District’s [Director of Technology].
11. Users shall report any problems or malfunctions with the MacBook to the main office within one school day of detection of the problem.
12. The School District may, at any time, make determinations that particular uses of the Internet and Technology Resources are not consistent with the goals or mission of the School District and prohibit such uses.
13. Users shall not play video games, visit chat rooms or otherwise use the MacBook for non-academic purposes.
14. The School District in its sole discretion reserves the right to terminate the availability of the MacBook at any time.
15. The School District reserves the right to:
a. Make determinations as to whether specific uses of the MacBook and app store are consistent with its goals, educational mission, policies and/or procedures;
b. Monitor and keep records of MacBook, Internet, and app store use;
c. Terminate user’s privileges to access and use the MacBook and other School District technology resources to prevent unauthorized activity.
16. Failure to follow the policy, procedures, rules and regulations of the School District may result in termination of the user’s privilege to access the MacBook and other School District technology resources. In addition, the user may be subject to other disciplinary or legal action.
17. Parents or legal guardians of users under the age of eighteen have the right to revoke their student’s app store account or use of the MacBook.
18. Each user shall be responsible for any and all damages to the MacBook resulting from their deliberate or willful acts.
19. All School District policies and procedures, including the Student Handbook, apply to the use of the MacBook and app store account.
20. Administration has the discretion to prohibit, allow, and otherwise regulate the use of the MacBook during the school day.
21. Each teacher has the discretion to allow and regulate the use by students of their MacBook in the classroom and on specific projects.
22. In the classroom, students may use their MacBook only for the purpose of accessing materials that are relevant to the classroom curriculum.
23. The school's network filters will be applied to the MacBook’s connection to the Internet and other Technology Resources.
24. Users are expected to charge their MacBook prior to school and run their MacBook on battery power while at school.
25. Users shall maintain their MacBook in silent mode at all times when on school property, unless otherwise permitted by school staff.
26. Users shall not record, transmit or post images or video of a person or persons on campus during school activities and/or hours, unless provided with written authorization by a teacher or administrator in compliance with School District policies and procedures.
27. Use of the MacBook is prohibited in the following areas/situations:
a. Locker rooms
c. Any private areas used for the purpose of changing clothes
d. Any other areas as designated by administration
28. Students shall not use their MacBook to cheat on assignments or tests.
29. Users shall not print from their MacBook to School District printers without the prior authorization of school staff.
The School District will make every effort to provide appropriate technology resources, however, the School District makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the MacBook and app store account it is providing. The School District shall not be responsible for any damages incurred by a user of the MacBook or app store account, including loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or service interruptions. In no event shall the School District be liable for any damages (whether direct, indirect, special or consequential) arising out of the use of the MacBook or app store acount, accuracy or correctness of information contained therein, or related directly or indirectly to any failure or delay of access to the Internet or other network application.