Prerequisites for One-Month Retreats (28-night retreat): BEFORE applying, you must have already completed at least 14 nights of silent residential retreat time. This retreat time must include a minimum of two (2) silent residential retreats with each of these six (6) nights or longer.
Prerequisites for Two-Month Retreat (56-night retreat): BEFORE applying, you must have already completed at least 21 nights of silent residential retreat time. This retreat time must include a minimum of three (3) silent residential retreats with each of these six (6) nights or longer.
Other Important Notes About Prerequisites: These retreats must have been led by Spirit Rock, IMS, or IRC teachers, or other recognized Insight Meditation teachers. Previous retreats must be silent residential retreats and have a similar format to this retreat, with instructions, practices and talks focused on Insight Meditation. Online retreats DO NOT qualify for these retreat prerequisites. DO NOT list retreats you will attend in the future.
Open Enrollment Period: Applications are accepted July 12 – August 31, 2023. Applications received after this date will be placed on a wait list for a second round of notifications if space is still available. It is very likely that scholarships will not be available for waitlisted applicants.
Application Review: Spirit Rock staff and teachers will review applications after the open enrollment period closes. Notifications will be sent out by September 29. You will be notified whether you have been accepted into the retreat or placed on a wait list.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- Prerequisites: Applicants must meet the prerequisite BEFORE applying. Online retreat experience does not fulfill the prerequisite. Future attendance in a retreat also does not qualify.
- Insight Retreat: Practitioners are expected to follow teacher’s instructions related to Vipassana (Insight Meditation).
- NEW in 2024 - March Retreat: "Awareness" practice will be the focus during the March retreat. All participants of the March retreat (whether the single month or the 2-Month) are expected to follow the instructions as offered for this month. If you are not interested, please do not sign up for this retreat.
- Vaccinations - still required: All staff, teachers, and practitioners must be fully vaccinated + boosted with vaccines for COVID-19. Proof of full vaccination (including at least 1 booster) will be required. You will not be admitted to the retreat if not fully vaccinated. You will be required to upload proof of vaccination during this application process.
- COVID Safety Protocols: Please review the current safety protocols. COVID Safety protocols. Learn more.
- Room Occupancy: We have single and double occupancy rooms (only 16 of 80 rooms are double occupancy). We have a "guaranteed single room" rate which is limited (5). This rate guarantees a single room while helping to support scholarship folks and all we do here at Spirit Rock. The remaining single rooms are not exclusive to the top end of the sliding scale; however, they are initially prioritized for those with serious medical conditions.
- Photo Required: You will be asked to upload a photo of yourself ("selfie").
- Special Consideration: We will prioritize spaces for historically marginalized groups (BIPOC and LGBTQIA+). We also hold spaces for Young Adults (age 18 - 32 yrs).
This application may take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete depending upon your situation and your preparation. Submit only ONE application. If you need to make a change to an already submitting application, contact us.
To make the application process go more quickly, we recommend that you gather the necessary information to fill out the application prior to sitting down and filling it out.
Things like: a digital photo of yourself, a digital photo of your vaccination card (with booster), a list of your retreat experience (teachers, length [# of retreat nights] for each, what style of retreat [metta, concentration, if applicable], location & year of each retreat), emergency contact information, therapist name & contact, if applicable.
When applying, you will need to provide the teachers' names, dates, location, length (# of nights), and style of the retreats.