Nationals Team Student Expectations Policy:
1) Students on the Nationals team should be self-motivated, responsible and hardworking. They should check their emails and remain in regular correspondence with their coaches.
2) Students need to follow the ModernBrain tournament schedule and register in a timely fashion on our registration forms (if competing with ModernBrain). Students should not make changes/drops AFTER the 'fee frozen' and 'change/add' deadlines. Any such changes are subject to financial penalties from the competition; the families will be responsible for paying them.
3) Students on the Nationals team are required to compete at least 85% of the recommended tournaments. Some tournaments are mandatory. Your mandatory tournaments vary depending on your speech/debate event.
4) It is totally fine for students to compete under their school banner, as long as you are participating, competing and growing. However, you should not compete under another academy's banner or train under another academy at the same time as ours. We want to avoid conflicts of interest.
5) If you competed with us last year, please make sure you've paid all outstanding tournament and judging fees.
6) If you’re joining the ModernBrain Nationals team, you are committing in good faith to make these extracurricular competitions your #1 extracurricular priority. That means our tournament offerings, which we will typically provide at least two weeks’ notice for, should come before other weekend options (chess competitions, music recitals, etc.). If you cannot commit the time to excel in speech and debate, there are less demanding options. Please consider those instead.
7) Most competitions are on Saturdays; some extend to Sundays; the major national tournaments can be even longer. The more competitions you attend and events you do, the better you will become!
8) If you're joining our Mock Trial Nationals team, you are committing to ALL mandatory tournaments (the dates of which are listed on our tournament calendar). Mock Trial is a team activity and needs every single team member to attend every single round of every single competition.
9) For all students: you must hold yourself to high standards of good behavior. We ask all students to adhere to the National Speech and Debate Association's code of honor when interacting with both others and their property. Students who violate this code may be asked to leave the team. Being a part of this team is a privilege, not a right. If a student is dismissed, we will refund their family the proportionate amount (for example, if a student paid $5000 to be part of the team for one year and is dismissed exactly halfway through the year, they may be refunded the remaining $2500).
10) Your registration fees cover the cost of instruction, not the cost of competitions. Competitions are hosted by third-party institutions such as the National Speech and Debate Association and National Online Forensics League. Local, smaller competitions tend to cost between $10 and $25 per category. Major national tournaments tend to cost around $100 per category. There are other costs to consider, like hired judge fees (normally between $50 and $150 per day) if an adult representative does not volunteer their time, and travel/food/lodging fees.
Photo Release Policy:
1) I hereby give permission for my child to be photographed or video recorded during their ModernBrain activities.
2) I understand these photo or video recordings will be used to keep a journal of activities, share during presentations and reports to our donors, and for promotional purposes, including (but not limited to) flyers, brochures, newspapers, and for internet advertising.
3) If my child’s identity is disclosed, I know I should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have their information redacted.
4) I do not expect compensation for any advertising featuring my child. I understand all recordings are the property of ModernBrain Corporation and its affiliates. ModernBrain and its affiliates are not responsible for lost or damaged personal property.
Refund and Class Credit Policy:
1) All scheduled events are subject to change. I understand that no fees will be refunded or transferred unless a child is unable to participate due to an accident or illness per physician orders.
2) I acknowledge ModernBrain does not offer refunds after class begins; in such an instance, any funds I distribute to ModernBrain may be reallocated towards class credit for a future term.
3) If unforeseen circumstances occur (including but not limited to a coach's car breaking down an hour before an in-person class or an outbreak at an in-person site), ModernBrain reserves the right to move up to two classes per semester from an in-person to an online class. ModernBrain will alert the impacted families to the change ASAP.
Accident Waiver and Release of Liabliity Policy:
1) I HEREBY ASSUME ALL OF THE RISKS OF PARTICIPATING IN ANY/ALL ACTIVITIES
ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CLASS, including by way of example and not limitation, any risks that may arise from negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons or entities being released, from dangerous or defective equipment or property owned, maintained, or controlled by them, or because of their possible liability without fault.
2) I certify that I am physically fit, have sufficiently prepared or trained for participation in this activity, and have not been advised to not participate by a qualified medical professional. I certify that there are no health-related reasons or problems which preclude my participation in this activity.
3) I acknowledge that this Accident Waiver and Release of Liability Form will be used by ModernBrain, sponsors, and organizers of the activity in which I may participate, and that it will govern my actions and responsibilities at said activity.
4) In consideration of my application and permitting me to participate in this activity, I hereby take action for myself, my executors, administrators, heirs, next of kin, successors, and assigns as follows:
(A) I WAIVE, RELEASE, AND DISCHARGE from any and all liability, including but not limited to, liability arising from the negligence or fault of the entities or persons released, for my death, disability, personal injury, property damage, property theft, or actions of any kind which may hereafter occur to me including my traveling to and from this activity, THE FOLLOWING ENTITIES OR PERSONS: ModernBrain and/or their directors, officers, employees, volunteers, representatives, and agents, and the activity holders, sponsors, and volunteers;
(B) INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND PROMISE NOT TO SUE the entities or persons
mentioned in this paragraph from any and all liabilities or claims made as a result of participation in this activity, whether caused by the negligence of release or otherwise.
5) I acknowledge that ModernBrain and their directors, officers, volunteers, representatives, and agents are NOT responsible for the errors, omissions, acts, or failures to act of any party or entity conducting a specific activity on their behalf.
6) I hereby consent to receive medical treatment which may be deemed advisable in the event of injury, accident, and/or illness during this activity.
7) I understand while participating in this activity, I may be photographed. I agree to allow my photo, video, or film likeness to be used for any legitimate purpose by the activity holders, producers, sponsors, organizers, and assigns.
8) The Accident Waiver and Release of Liability Form shall be construed broadly to provide a release and waiver to the maximum extent permissible under applicable law.
9) I CERTIFY THAT I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND I FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENT. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND A CONTRACT AND I SIGN IT OF MY OWN FREE WILL.