- Be friendly, inviting, and respectful of patrons, volunteers, staff, and donors.
- Try to just listen to patrons. Take care not to initiate conversations about controversial topics. Keep all conversations, as well as information you overhear, confidential.
- Be prepared for the unexpected. Seek staff for assistance in handling emergency situations.
- If you become aware of a situation in which a patron intends to harm themselves or another, alerta staff member. Patrons are evicted for foul language, fighting and illegal activity.
- Enjoy a meal after most patrons have been served.
Maintain appropriate boundaries:
- Don’t give patrons your phone number, money, or a ride. Don’t plan to help patrons on your own.Don’t share personal information.
- Refrain from initiating physical contact. Many people are not comfortable being touched, andsome may have contagious illnesses. If you do have contact, wash your hands afterward.
- Keep personal items in a safe place. Lock your vehicle. There is a volunteer space in the rear ofthe building for hanging coats.
- Wear close-toed shoes and comfortable clothing (nothing tight or revealing) that you don’t mindgetting soiled.
- Stay on task. Feel free to chat while being attentive to your duties. Please refrain from cell phoneuse except for necessary situations.
- Do your best to volunteer from beginning to end of the shift. If you need to leave early, please letstaff know. If you cannot cover a shift, please contact us one day in advance. When leaving for abreak or the end of your shift, please alert staff
- The Daily Bread is a smoke free facility. The designated smoking area is the driveway to the rear of the building. This includes vape and any other smoking device. Dispose of cigarette butts in the receptacle provided.
- Set up chairs around tables.
- Check bathrooms for toilet paper and cleanliness.
- Greet all patrons in a welcoming manner.
- Assist people with special needs or mobility issues, and families with children to get seated.
- Use proper hand washing technique at the start of your shift, after using the restroom, ortaking a break.
- Refill creamer, sugar, salt, and pepper containers.
- Stack chairs.
- Wipe all tables, drink area, and countertops with sanitizer solution.
- Gather rags and place them in the laundry basket in the kitchen.
- Sweep and mop the floors.
- Wearing gloves, take a plastic bag outside, pick up litter and dispose of it in the dumpster.
- Wear gloves when serving drinks or handling any food.
- When a patron comes in, ask what they would like to drink, and if they’d like to eat here or togo. Pour the drink in the corresponding cup.
- Check stock (cups, lids, coffee, etc.) and refill as needed.
- Wipe down tables after every use.
- Turn off coffee machines and wash the pots.