GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES FOR GRANT APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED TO THE
TEXAS YOUNG LAWYERS ASSOCIATION
Purpose and Policy Statement
The primary purpose of the TYLA Member Services Grant Program is to encourage the development of new projects by TYLA Local Affiliates and to strengthen the existing relationships between the TYLA and its member affiliates. Pursuant to this TYLA program, grants are distributed to young lawyers associations for worthwhile projects and programs to be implemented by TYLA local affiliate organizations. The TYLA will process and consider all grant applications in accordance with the following guidelines.
Grant Eligibility Requirements
1. Grant applications may be submitted only by Local Affiliates of the TYLA on forms prescribed by the TYLA. In order to be considered, the entire application form must be completed with appropriate attachments.
2. Grant applications must be received in the TYLA office on or before 5:00 PM, Friday, August 18, 2023. There will be no extensions permitted. Grant applications will be subitted by completing a jot form. You should contact the TYLA office before 5:00 PM on Friday, August 18, 2023, to verify that your application(s) arrived in the office.
3. The Local Affiliate submitting the application must have submitted a report and provided an accounting of the disposition of any previously awarded TYLA grant funds to be eligible to receive additional funds, if any, in the current year.
Criteria To Be Considered
Requested grant funds must be used for projects related to the regulation of lawyers, the functioning of federal or state courts, or the functioning of the legal system, in keeping with the purposes of the Texas Young Lawyers Association to serve the public interest by facilitating the administration of justice and advancing the role of the legal profession in serving the public.
1. The Local Affiliate must administer all requested grant funds. Grants will not be made for the sole purpose of payment to third-party organizations that implement or conduct the project, e.g., a pro bono legal clinic, non-profit organization, etc.
2. Projects that a Local Affiliate proposes to carry out with grant funds will be given priority if the project is either:
a) A new project that can serve as a model capable of being duplicated by other Local Affiliates;
b) A project of statewide impact.
3. Although priority consideration will be given to new projects or projects that will be substantially changed or enhanced through the use of a TYLA grant, funding may be considered for continuing projects if a special need is demonstrated.
4. Grants will not be made to pay the costs of completed projects.
5. There is no maximum amount for an individual grant application. There is no maximum number of grant applications that a Local Affiliate may submit; however, separate applications must be submitted for each project.
The TYLA Member Services Committee Chairs, Committee Members, and Executive Committee Advisors will review and consider all applications for grants received by 5:00pm, Friday, August 18, 2023. The committee’s recommendations will be submitted to the TYLA Executive Committee and the TYLA Board of Directors for final approval, and announcement of grant recipients will be made by the end of September.
For further information or questions, please contact:
Chair, Member Services Committee
Vice Chair, Member Services Committee
ECA, Member Services Committee