Please register here to access the recoding of AMT's webinar 'Managing professional boundaries', presented by Jocelyn Kirton on 10 August 2023.
This 90-minute webinar will cover the reflective professional development in creating, establishing and maintaining boundaries. It will provide therapists with a communication framework that allows them to identify ambiguous situations; navigate potentially uncomfortable conversations and/or situations; respond and end therapeutic interactions/sessions. The emphasis is on the importance of the therapist’s safety in massage therapy environments.
Topics to be discussed are:
- prevalence of abuse from clients in the massage therapy clinical context
- potential moments for boundary blurring / pushing in a massage therapy exchange
- how a therapist’s intuition plays a role in identifying points of friction with clients
- basic attachment theory and its relevance to your communication style
- how to recognise, navigate and end care when a client’s behavior jeopardises the therapeutic interaction
- exploration of future directions and education for massage therapists regarding boundary management.
About the presenter
Jocelyn Kirton (she/her) has been an RMT in Victoria, BC, Canada since 2013. She has taken a special interest in serving persistent pain populations. Her educational and practical experiences have given her the unique opportunity to incorporate her knowledge base allowing for a modern approach to the management of persistent pain.
Jocelyn revolves her practice around person-centred care. She has focuses in prenatal, postpartum care (including incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse and diastasis recti), chronic prostatitis (chronic pelvic pain syndrome), sexual health and other pelvic health concerns, all from a non-invasive (non-internal) approach.
Jocelyn impacts the massage therapy profession by educating RMTs on the positive effect the profession can have for people dealing with abdominal and pelvic pain that is evidence-based and above all, safe. She is passionate about providing education and interventions from a collaborative approach that empowers clinicians to provide people care with best available science.
You will be able to claim around 1.5 hours of PD on completion of the reflection template in your AMT member portal. The session will be recorded for viewing later.
AMT members : $20.00
Non-members : $40.00