Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Phoenix Herpetological Sanctuary(PHS)! We are passionate about the conservation of native and exotic reptiles and are excited to share our animals, experience, and knowledge with you.
Volunteering at PHS is a rewarding and exciting experience! Each day you will be taking care of animals, possibly interacting with guests and cleaning up the property. Each of these tasks are so important. Please know that this is a dirty, hard and sometimes exhausting position, but it is worth every minute.
Majority of the volunteer tasks will require you to be outside.
You will need to be able to work in all weather conditions and be aware that you might encounter scorpions, spiders and snakes that are not part of the facility's collection while performing your volunteer tasks.
Please complete this Volunteer Application truthfully and as thoroughly as possible. We appreciate the time and effort you are putting forth in this process. Please know that everything we ask for in this process is to help us get to know you, your background, and specific interests. Your detailed, accurate answers will help us achieve a safe and well-prepared workplace and atmosphere. All information gathered in the volunteer application is confidential, as we value our volunteers’ privacy.
• While performing volunteer tasks, volunteers are regularly required to, sit, stand, kneel, crouch, walk for extended periods of time
• Volunteers are regularly required to use step stools, tongs, snake hooks, pump misters,
• Volunteers should be able to move up to 35 lbs in all directions
• Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers
• Ability to complete repetitive tasks over the course of multiple hours
• Occasional moderate noise (groups of children, saws, drills, croc calls, etc.)
• Ability to adjust to change in a constantly changing environment
• Ability to work in low and high temperatures
• Outdoor elements such as rain and wind
• Regular, predictable attendance is required.
• Communication with others to exchange information
• Assessing the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned
Volunteer Schedule Requirements
All new volunteers are required to work one 4-hour shift a week for the first 3 months.
Each volunteer will be responsible for the set of tasks that they are assigned that shift. Volunteer opportunities are limited, unfortunately not all applications will be accepted.
Thank you for applying to the PHS Volunteer Program. We look forward to your responses. Please note that PHS Volunteer Applications are scheduled for review at the beginning of each month for the previous month. You will receive an email response in regards to your application shortly after then. Make sure to check your spam folder in the event you didn't receive a response in your main inbox.