Grant Guidelines and Policies
In order to most effectively fulfill its philanthropic responsibilities in its grantmaking region, the Rising Sun Regional Foundation operates in accordance with the following guidelines and policies:
- Grants will be made only to organizations whose projects and programs benefit the residents of Ohio and Ripley counties and the cities of Aurora and Batesville in the State of Indiana.
- Grant applicants must qualify as exempt organizations under the Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) status or be sponsored by such organizations or qualify as governmental or educational entities or possess similar attributes.
- Grants will be made only for organizations that provide adequate administrative and financial accounting and reporting procedures.
- No grants will be made specifically for sectarian religious purposes but can be made to religious organizations for general community programs.
- No grants will be made to attempt to influence legislation or to intervene in any political campaign (including the publishing or distribution of statements) on behalf of any candidate for public office.
- Grants will not generally be made for projects, programs, and/or equipment that were committed to prior to the grant application being submitted.
- Grants will not generally exceed $40,000 other than on rare occasions due to their exceptional merits in terms of extreme emergencies, unusual and broad community benefit, and/or major leveraging of other financial resources.
- Preference will be given to grant applications that seek the participation of other contributions by using challenge, matching, or similar grant techniques.
- Grant applicants are expected to make serious efforts in exploring additional funding for their respective projects through their own organizational resources, state and local government support, community and/or private foundations.
- Preference will be given to change-oriented and problem-solving grants with an emphasis on "seed" money and/or one-time grants rather than for ongoing, general operating support.
- Grant recipients will sign and abide by the respective conditions as set forth in the Foundation's Grant Award Agreement.
The Rising Sun Regional Foundation utilizes a formal grant application form that requires the upload of several indicated attachments in a .pdf format. Applicants are advised to gather the following documentation to include in the grant application:
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Tax Determination Letter for the applicant organization;
- Itemized budget for the project;
- List of governing board members including full name, address, and telephone number;
- Copy of the organization's most recent financial audit OR year-end financial statement;
- Copy of the organization's current month and year-to-date financial statement;
- Vendor quotes for proposed capital projects, purchases of equipment, and/or supplies; and,
- Letter of support from the President, CEO, Superintendent, or other executive officer of the organization.
Note: Because the foregoing grant guidelines, policies and procedures are brief and do not cover every aspect of the Rising Sun Regional Foundation grantmaking program, prospective grant applicants are encouraged to contact the Foundation with any questions regarding the application and/or application process.
The Foundation awards grants on a quarterly basis in accordance with the schedule listed. Emergency grant applications may be considered by the Foundation at any time based upon compelling merits and time constraints related to the grant requests as determined by the Foundation Board of Directors and staff.
GRANTS PROGRAM ANNUAL SCHEDULE
January 15: Application deadline*
March 31: Notice to grant applicants of Board of Directors' actions
April 15: Application Deadline*
June 30: Notice to grant applicants of Board of Directors' actions
July 15: Application Deadline*
September 30: Notice to grant applicants of Board of Directors' actions
October 15: Application Deadline*
December 31: Notice to grant applicants of Board of Directors' actions
*If this date happens to be on a Saturday, Sunday, or national holiday, the grant application deadline will be the following business day.