NACDA is excited to offer, through the John McLendon Scholarship Foundation, nine postgraduate scholarships to underrepresnted candidates planning to pursue a master’s degree in a field that will help them pursue a career in the sports industry.
- Eight (8) $10,000 scholarships
- One (1) fully funded spot into UMass Amherst's Mark H. McCormack top-ranked graduate program
To be considered for a John McLendon Minority Postgraduate Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Plan to pursue a master's degree (in the United States) in a field that will lead to a career in the sports industry; OR be currently enrolled full-time but not have graduated before September 2024.
- The award must be used within 5 years of receipt.
- If applying to the UMass/McCormack program, applicants must plan to enroll in Fall 2024
- Have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent in the undergraduate curriculum. If enrolled in graduate school, current graduate GPA will not be considered.
- Identify as one of the following:
- Black -- All persons having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
- Hispanic -- All persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture of origin, regardless of race.
- Asian or Pacific Islander -- All persons having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent or the Pacific Islands. This area includes, for example, China, India, Japan, Korea, the Philippine Islands and Samoa.
- American Indian or Alaskan Native -- All persons having origins in any of the original peoples of North America, and who maintain cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition.
- Submit a personal essay (1,200 words max) answering both of the following:
- Integrity, Education, Leadership and Mentorship were the pillars on which coach McLendon based his career and coaching philosophy. In your own life and experiences, how have these values played a significant role in shaping your outlook and guiding your actions? Share specific examples of how you have demonstrated leadership and integrity, and how you have embraced mentorship to support others in achieving their goals.
- John McLendon's coaching style revolutionized the game of basketball with an innovative fast break offense. In your view, what areas in the sports industry need innovative solutions or a fresh approach? Describe a potential area for innovation within sport and discuss how graduate school will equip you with the knowledge and skills to drive positive change and progress in the field.
- Submit an undergraduate transcript (unofficial transcripts are accepted)
- Submit a resume
All applications MUST be received no later than February 1st 2024.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Ishita Tibrewal (email@example.com).