2023 oSTEM/Queer in AI Grad App Scholarship Application
oSTEM and Queer in AI are working to end application and test fees as a barrier to queer STEM scholars applying to graduate programs. We are pleased to announce our 2023 Graduate School Application Financial Aid Program, which will provide up to USD 750 per individual to cover application or test fees for queer people applying to STEM graduate and medical degree programs. The scholarship program has **two deadlines: November 1st 2023 and Febuary 1st 2024**. Applications submitted by each deadline will be reviewed approximately one week after the deadline to enable scholarships to be distributed on PhD and masters application timelines. Scholarship be used for any graduate school program: Master, PhD, etc. Open to international applicants AND non-US universities, too! Questions? Email email@example.com.
1) What is your chosen name?
What is your email address?
2) What pronouns do you want us to use in this space? Please type N/A if you don't want us to use pronouns for you.
3a) Please link to a website, LinkedIn, Twitter, or other web presence, or write "N/A" if you do not have any.
3b) If you do not have any web presence, you could submit a copy of your student ID card or an unofficial transcript.
Drag and drop files here
Choose a file
4) Please provide an email linked to a PayPal (strongly preferred) or wire transfer details. *We can only send scholarships via PayPal or wire transfer.* For wire transfers, we require: 1) your email 2) your full name as appears on your bank account 3) routing number 4) account number 5) account type (checking/savings) 6) your address as appears on your bank account. If you do not provide all six pieces of information for wire transfers we will be unable to send wires and will not be able to approve your scholarship.
5) Do you need reimbursement before or after you pay? We prefer to reimburse you after you pay. If you select after, you will be asked to upload receipts or other proof of payment before we reimburse you. We will process your reimbursement within 5 weeks of receiving receipts. If you select after, we ask to you upload all receipts before we process your reimbursement, if this will not work for you please contact the chairs.
Before I pay
After I pay (preferred)
6) What do you need aid for? Please include a list of each test, institution, or other expense and cost. (ex. GRE $100, TOEFL $200, IIT Hyderabad $85, Central Michigan University $75). Many schools offer fee waivers for Queer in AI or oSTEM members--please apply to these so this program has more money for more people! https://github.com/KaiserWhoLearns/CS-PhD-Application-fee-waivers has a good list of CS fee waivers.
7) How much aid will you need? Please include a numerical amount and specify a currency. This amount must match the sum of costs you listed in question 6.
8) What do you need this aid for? Why do you need this aid? At a minimum, please include: 1) The tests you are taking or programs you are applying to, along with their costs. 2) Your research area, interests, or goals. 3) How this aid will help you (“There is no right way to need [this]” --Sherae Lascelles)
What do you want to study or research during for your graduate degree? Why did you choose these area(s)?
9) Are you queer? If yes, please specify your gender, romantic, and sexual orientation in a few words. The word queer is an umbrella term which includes LGBTQIA+ folks. Queerness also includes folks who are questioning their identity.
10) Additional: If you are not queer, please specify why you are applying for financial aid. Please note that we have limited resources and will prioritise queer folks in need. Queer in AI and oSTEM are organizations aiming to help queer folks who are marginalized in academic community. Please give a justification regarding why you are applying for this aid.
11) If you applied for Queer in AI aid in the past, please describe how your graduate applications went and why you are applying for aid again. The success or failure of your past applications will not affect our descision on your scholarship.
I have read, understood, and agree to the aid timeline and conditions outlined in this form. I understand that I must have a PayPal account or be able to provide wire transfer details to receive my scholarship.
Would you like to join oSTEM? To hear about other opportunities and be part of an awesome community of queer STEM humans, visit https://ostem.org/form/register/
Data Usage Agreement. oSTEM/Queer in AI will never publicly release non-anonymous data. oSTEM/Queer in AI may release anonymous aggregated statistics for the purpose of helping the community understand this program and helping this program grow. Your submission will be visible to our application reviewers. Microsoft CMT, like all computer systems, is potentially vulnerable to hacking--please keep that in mind when disclosing information that may put you in danger. If you want to permanently delete/modify any information, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Do you agree to our data usage policy?
Double check your application or we may not be able to accept it! Make sure you have provided itemized expesnse for question 6 and your answer to question 8 is the sum of those expenses. Please make sure your answers to questions 7 and 9 are sufficiently detailed for us to understand who we are giving aid to and why. If you are unsure about any of these questions or feel unsafe answering any, please contact us at email@example.com.
I have read this and doubled check my answers.
Should be Empty: