Girls Who LEAP is excited to partner with the Gudangaay Tlaats'gaa Naay Secondary Girls Basketball Program in Masset on our first YMCA Youth Exchange Program.
Our Shooting for Stars - Dreaming Big Dreams project is a joint venture with Canada Basketball to provide on-court basketball skill development and off-court sport leadership opportunities between both Girls Who LEAP and Masset youth from November 2023 to May 2024.
April 18-23, 2024:
Masset Girls in Vancouver
May 15-21, 2024:
Girls Who LEAP in Masset
We will have mentorship, empowerment, lifeskill themed sessions through our monthly zoom meetings between both groups as well as on-court basketball and off-court cultural crossover opportunities in person.
As a result, we hope this exchange:
- Introduces life skills and growth mindsets to encourage a lifelong passion for holistic healthy lifestyles: physically, mentally, emotionally and culturally
- Empowers our youth with leadership toolkits through community development
- Provides mentorship opportunities
- Introduces sport leadership explorations beyond the court
- Promotes Indigenous Basketball and Culture
- Connects urban Indigenous youth with rural Indigenous youth
- Creates a sense of female empowerment
- Provides on and off court basketball development
Criteria for participation:
- Youth between the ages of 14 and 20
- Be a regular and active participant in GWL programming
- Be an active GWL community ambassador
- Be in good academic standing (ie. passing all your classes or attend extra tutoring to catch up)
- Participates in mandatory monthly zoom exchanges as well as all required exchange requirements in the Shooting for Stars project
- Have zero tolerance for substance use of any kind
- Respect the values and spirit of YMCA Youth Exchange Program
- Pay a non-refundable fee of $100 when accepted into YMCA Youth Exchange Program
- Only 20 spots available
- Open to non-basketball players as long as they participate in on-court development
- Seniority (age, length and number of participation in GWL programs) will be considered if needed
- A selection committee of GWL mentors will convene to look at applications and successful candidates will be notified before Nov 10
Your $100 fee covers flights, accommodations, ground transportation and group activities. You will be responsible for your own meals (except breakfast) and personal purchases. There will be at least one mandatory fundraising event where all youth will have to participate or contribute.
If you wish to participate in this exchange, please apply online by Friday November 3, 2023 before midnight.