JAMES T. TURNER SCHOLARSHIP FUND
James T. Turner II moved to Nunn in 1940 where he was raised and educated; graduating from Nunn High School and played basketball at Colorado State University. After graduation, he worked for the Adolph Coors Company for seven years before moving back to the farm in Nunn in 1971. He became a partner in Turner Peterson Trenching Company and was one of the first farmers to practice no till chemical farming and raise sunflowers in northern Colorado. Over the years, James has been a member, director, and president on numerous boards including Nunn Town Board, Nunn Fire Department, trustee of Aims Community College, Farmers National Bank, and a past Master Eaton Masonic Lodge 109 AF & AM just to name a few. James was president of Nunn Telephone Company from March 22, 1989 to April 1, 2022. Education is important to James and in celebrating his dedication and contribution to the community, Nunn Telephone Company decided to award a scholarship in his name after his retirement.
The James T. Turner Scholarship Fund is to assist those individuals who desire to further their education acquiring the knowledge and necessary skills needed for their future, while encouraging work ethic and encouraging civic responsibility.
AMOUNT AND DISBURSEMENT OF SCHOLARSHIP
Nunn Telephone Company shall award one (1) scholarship for the year 2024 in the amount of $1,500. A Board of Directors committee will select the scholarship winner. NTC will award a scholarship to an applicant who is, in the committee’s opinion, most worthy of an award of leadership, future promise, and work ethic. NTC will notify the winner on or before the 1st of May, 2024. Scholarship winners will be required to accept this award for use during the next school year.
Any graduating student whose primary residence has service with Nunn Telephone Company may apply for the scholarship. Students must also be qualified for admission to an accredited college, university, or trade school.
The selection committee will not consider applications submitted after the specified date, nor will it consider applications that do not include all materials requested on the application. The committee will be adjusted yearly so any student who is a dependent individual of an employee or director of Nunn Telephone Company, will not be directly involved in the scholarship selection process.
Selections for the Scholarship Award each year will be based on the following criteria:
- Leadership, work ethic, and character qualities.
- Community and volunteer activities.
- Scholastic honors and/or high school activities.
- Follow all instructions by including all requested documents (to be attached with application).
Applications for James T. Turner Scholarship application must be submitted online. The graduating student must complete the application themselves.
The following documents must be received by March 1, 2024.
- Applicant must be an active subscriber, or dependent of an active subscriber, whose primary residence is receiving service from Nunn Telephone Company. An active subscriber is defined as being in good standing, receiving local service (internet and/or phone service) from Nunn Telephone Company. Completed and signed JTT Scholarship application.
- Applicant must submit official school transcript to verify your grade point average of 2.5 or equivalent on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants should be in the graduating class of 2024.
- Applicant must use scholarship to attend an accredited junior college, college, university, technical or vocational school.
- Essay: A one-page only typed essay. In your essay, you should address your college goals and choice of major, what you intend to do with your education, and why a scholarship is important to you. Include any personal characteristics, work ethic, and leadership experiences that make you uniquely worthy of scholarship consideration.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- Letter by an educator from the school in which the applicant has attended.
- Letter from a non-educator, non-relative, or from an employer.
- Optional: Applicant’s photograph, head shot only picture (no group or sports photos) for award announcement only.
No late applications accepted.
Obligation of Scholarship Holders
To receive the scholarship for the fall semester, the student will be required to furnish their final transcript along with a letter of acceptance and proof of enrollment. Once this has been received from the college, university, or trade school, the check will be issued to the student.
Head shot only picture (no group or sports photos) is optional for award announcement only.
Read and follow the instructions carefully prior to submitting your application. All correspondence and award agreements will be generated from the personal information submitted so, please use proper spelling, capitalization and punctuation.
Best of luck,
Nunn Telephone Company