The Midwifery Wisdom Collective Mentor's Code of Ethics
As mentors of The Midwifery Wisdom Collective, we recognize our vital role in guiding and nurturing the future of midwifery. Upholding a high standard of ethical conduct is essential to maintain the integrity and trust of the midwifery profession.
This Code of Ethics is designed to guide our role as Mentors within The Midwifery Wisdom Collective and as we interact with the wider community representing the collective in both clinical and classroom settings.
1. Respect for Autonomy and Person-Centered Care
- Respect the autonomy and dignity of each individual, including students, clients, and colleagues.
- Provide person-centered care, involving the client in decision-making and ensuring their choices are respected.
- Support and encourage students to develop their skills in providing respectful, individualized care.
- Strive to do good and promote the well-being of clients and students.
- Share our knowledge, skills, and experience generously to enhance the learning and practice of midwifery.
- Supervise students in a manner that ensures the safety and welfare of clients.
- Do no harm and ensure the safety and well-being of clients and students.
- Be vigilant in recognizing and addressing any potential risks or harm that may arise during clinical training.
- Address any incompetence or unsafe practices among students and colleagues promptly and constructively.
- Promote fairness and equity in the distribution of care and educational opportunities.
- Avoid discrimination or bias based on race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic.
- Provide all students with equal opportunities for learning and advancement.
5. Veracity (Truthfulness) and Fidelity (Loyalty)
- Be truthful and honest in all your interactions with clients, students, and colleagues.
- Foster a culture of trust and open communication between mentors and students.
- Maintain confidentiality and respect the privacy of clients and students.
6. Accountability and Responsibility
- Acknowledge your responsibility for your actions and decisions as a mentor.
- Hold yourself and your students accountable for their practice and conduct.
- Comply with all legal and ethical standards in midwifery.
7. Professional Integrity and Self-Regulation
- Uphold the highest standards of professional conduct and integrity.
- Be a role model for students by demonstrating professional competence and ethical behavior.
- Engage in continuous self-reflection and improvement, striving for excellence in midwifery practice and education.
8. Nurturing, Mentorship, and Role Modeling
- Foster a supportive and nurturing environment for students' growth and development.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and constructive feedback to help students reach their full potential.
- Set a positive example for students by embodying the values and principles of midwifery.
- Encourage ethical behavior and compassionate care through your actions and interactions.
- Intentionally creates opportunities for clinical skills and demonstrate patience in students' learning methods, needs, and timeframes
9. Commitment to Lifelong Learning
- Stay current with developments in midwifery practice and education.
- Humbly accept feedback and education from our colleagues; together, we can raise the standard of midwifery.
- Encourage students to embrace a commitment to ongoing learning and professional development.
10. Ethical Treatment of Students
- It is unethical to haze, abuse, gaslight, or otherwise use students beyond the scope of their studies, and we commit to treating students with respect and dignity, recognizing that their learning journey should be challenging but free from any form of mistreatment.
- It is unethical to withhold information or signatures of a student's progress, even if the relationship has broken down, and we commit to honoring our commitment to each student we mentor.
- All skills shared with students will be within the ethical framework of midwifery practice.
The Midwifery Wisdom Collective Mentor's Code of Ethics serves as a guiding framework to maintain the highest ethical standards in the field of midwifery and to shape the next generation of compassionate and skilled midwives.