In loving memory of Matthew Choi, Choi's Kimchi and Portland Farmers Market are offering grants up to $1500 to support new food and farm business entry to a farmers market.
Matt Choi and his mother launched Choi's Kimchi at Portland Farmers Market in 2011. Their business has since grown to a sustainable regional business. They count their roots in the PSU market community as a key to their success.
Matt was a kind, giving person that was always eager to offer support and guidance to young businesses and is remembered for his generous spirit and kindness.
This grant is open to beginning food and farm business owners looking to launch or expand at any Portland area farmers market. This grant will be offered as direct cash funds with the following reporting requirements:
- Completion of a W-9
- Proof of acceptance to market
- Some reporting of purchases
Award recipients will receive a 1099 to use for their tax preparation.
Funds may be awarded to cover expenses directly related to selling at a farmers market including:
- Market set up (canopy, table, display/signage, etc)
- Stall fees
- Vehicle rental
- Liability insurance premiums
- Licensing fees
Priority for receiving awards:
- Businesses within their first three years of consistent and regular operation
- Business owners with a cultural connection to the products produced
- Businesses led by owners from communities under-represented at farmers markets
- Applicants for whom this grant would be financially significant
- Businesses that produce food products that are SNAP eligible
- Vendors who have applied or intend to apply to one of PFM’s five farmers markets
Acceptance to a market is not required prior to submitting an application. Funds may be awarded and held up to 3 months pending acceptance to a market. Proof of acceptance is required prior to distribution.
The deadline to apply is March 9, 2024 at 5 pm PST. All applicants will be notified of our decision by April 10. Award recipients will be announced and promoted on our website and through our social media channels (awardees will have an opportunity to opt out of this promotion). Personal information shared in this application will not be shared with the public without prior approval.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing this application, please email email@example.com
When you're ready to begin, please be prepared to complete this application in one sitting as your answers may not be saved until you click "submit" at the end of the form.