SCHOLARSHIP AWARD: The Leroy Jackson Memorial Scholarship was established by the Jackson County, North Carolina NAACP to honor the contributions of Mr. Jackson in promoting an equitable and inclusive society. Mr. Jackson served as a distinguished member of the Jackson County NAACP until his death in 2017. In addition to his contributions to NAACP, Mr. Jackson played an instrumental role in the desegregation of Sylva-Webster High School in 1964 as a student-athlete. Mr. Jackson also honorably served in Vietnam as a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division of the United States Army. It is in this spirit of service and commitment to equity and equality that this scholarship is offered.
The Jackson County NAACP Diversity Scholarship is a one-time scholarship awarded to public high school seniors planning to attend a college or university in preparation for a professional career. Preference will be given to those who demonstrate that they are committed to promoting a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and just society and who exhibit a financial need. In 2024, the Jackson County NAACP will award two winners. The winning recipients will each receive $3,000 for first-year college expenses.
- High School Senior enrolled in public high schools in Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Jackson, Macon, or Swain Co.
- Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Jackson, Macon, or Swain County Resident
- GPA of 3.0 or Greater
- Plan to attend a post-secondary academic program in preparation for a professional career
Checklist for Application Completion
- Completed Application (this form)
- Essay (Please attach as a file at the end of this form)
- Copy of High School transcript (Please attach as a file at the end of this form)
- One letter of reference (Please attach as a file at the end of this form)
- Application submitted by February 28, 2024.
Visit this link for a printable paper description of this application.