Birth Doula Terms & Conditions
What is a birth doula?
As a doula, I accompany birthing people in labor to help them achieve their goal of a safe and satisfying birth experience. I am a non-clinical care provider trained in providing emotional support, physical comfort and informational support throughout pregnancy, labor and delivery. I am independent and self-employed. I work for you, not your caregiver or hospital. This is your birth! I will respect your decisions and support you to my fullest in facilitating the kind of birth you have envisioned for yourself.
Welcome Baby Birth Doula Services ($1025)
- 2 prenatal visits to discuss your birthing preferences, wishes and to learn comfort measures and laboring positions
- 24/7 on call birth support upon contract signing until your baby arrives
- Full access to our lending library.
- Continuous labor support from active labor
- Use of the rebozo and other comfort measures
- Breastfeeding and new baby support up to 2 hours after birth
- 1 postpartum visit with optional 2nd postpartum visit
- 2 weeks of postpartum On Call support via phone or Skype to answer general newborn care questions or assist with breastfeeding (even at 2am!)
Services Not Provided
- I DO NOT perform medical tasks such as blood pressure readings, fetal heart checks and vaginal exams among others
- I DO NOT take responsibility for the clinical or medical well-being of you or your baby
- I DO NOT make decisions for you or contradict medical advice from your care provider. I will help you get information necessary to make an informed decision and I will remind you of if you depart from your original birth plan
- I DO NOT speak to the staff instead of you regarding health care decisions. I will discuss concerns with you and suggest options but you or your partner will speak on your behalf to the clinical staff.
- I can only help you as much as you will allow me to help you, as much as your provider will allow me to help you and as much as hospital policy will allow me to help you.
- All records are personal and confidential. I will not share these records with any other person without your express permission.
What I Request From You
- Please complete a birth preference sheet and discuss this with your caregiver. You are in control; this is YOUR birth!
- Choose a support person for your pregnancy and birth who will be responsible for late pregnancy and early labor support and transportation to your birth place.
- Inform me of any pregnancy or non-pregnancy related health complications so that I may support you as needed.
- Inform me if I need to take extra precautions when exposed to bodily fluids, etc.
- In the 3rd trimester, please text or email me after every appointment with your care provider to update me on your pregnancy.
- You will be responsible for making and keeping your appointments with me. Failure to do so may result in termination of my services.
- Please participate in a childbirth education class and tour your birth facility.
- Please call me when you think you may be in labor, even if you are not sure, so that I may make arrangements to attend your birth.
- Please allow approximately 2 hours to reach you, once you have requested I come to you.
- Pay replacement costs for any lost or damaged library items
- If for any reason you are unable to contact me, or due to an emergency I cannot be with you, please contact your assigned back-up doula.
Failure to provide service
- I will make every effort to provide the services described here. In the case of a rapid birth, medical emergency, natural disaster, or other unexpected circumstance, it may be impossible for me to provide these services. No refund will be due in any of these cases. I will continue postpartum support at the earliest opportunity.
- If you contact me to advise that you are in labor in good time, but I do not attend your birth due to an error on my part, I will refund 50% of the fee. If you are unable to contact me, you are required to attempt to contact your backup doula and leave a message for the primary doula.
- If you fail to call me (or your back-up doula) to advise that you are in labor, for whatever reason, you will not be due a refund of amounts paid. If there is a remaining balance outstanding this will be due.
- In the event you have a cesarean birth, planned or emergent, all fees remain the same. I will stay and offer as much support as the medical staff will allow. It is up to you to secure my place in the operating room. If scheduled, I will meet you at the hospital at your scheduled time. I will accompany you in the operating room if allowed by medical staff. If for some reason I am permitted to join you in the operating room (emergency, hospital policy, etc.), I will be available to join you after the birth if your partner needs to step away to accompany the baby. I will assist you with emotional support and breastfeeding support in recovery.
IMPORTANT - Emergency Delivery
- In some circumstances, labor progresses more quickly than anticipated. If you call me to advise that your labor has progressed very quickly and delivery is imminent or your baby has been born unexpectedly at home, I will recommend that you call 9-1-1.
- If your baby arrives unexpectedly at home with me present, you or your partner will be responsible for catching your baby. After the birth, I can help you arrange transport by ambulance to the hospital. I am not responsible for catching your baby or performing any clinical skills related to the delivery of your baby.
• A 60% retainer services ($615) is due at contract signing. The remainder ($410) is due at 36 weeks of pregnancy.
• Birth Doula services fee: $1025 for Welcome Baby KC Birth Doula
- Additional prenatal or postnatal visits are available for $50 for visits made between 9am and 4pm on weekdays. For visits outside of these times, or on weekends or public holidays, the cost is $75 per hour. These visits are invoiced separately.
- In the event that your labor goes over 12 hours, and birth is not imminent, I may call in my back-up doula to assist your family at no additional charge to you.
If you decide not to employ me as your doula after signing this contract, the following will apply:
--Cancellation more than 4 weeks before your due date – refund minus 60% of the entire fee.
--Cancellation less than 4 weeks before your due date – no refund due.