Directions and Expectations
Research shows that the ability to read critically improves with consistent practice. Thus, students who read during the summer more likely will improve their ability to read than those who don’t. To help students improve as readers, Leonia High School has developed a summer program which gives them considerable choice in selecting a book on a topic which genuinely interests them. Our summer reading program aims to promote literacy, improve academic achievement, build vocabulary, and encourage reading for enjoyment.
Students will select a book on the list from one of the subjects on their 2015-2016 course schedule. The reading list will be available on the LHS website as well as at the Leonia and Edgewater Public Libraries. During the summer, students are to read and annotate the book of their choice, taking notes in the margins, highlighting, and using a reading log to record thoughts and questions about subject, character, setting, plot, and main ideas to prepare for an informal oral assessment in September. If the book is borrowed from a library, students should use post-its instead of writing in the book.
During the second week of September, students will meet with a teacher for a brief discussion about the book—a Book Chat.
* Students can gain or lose as many as five points toward the First Marking Period grade for the subject corresponding to their choice of book.
* Students who do not choose to read will lose five points from their First Marking Period grade in English.
* Any student who selects a Physical Education book receives positive or negative points in Health for the Marking Period in which the student is scheduled for Health.
Please note: books on the summer reading list do not substitute for reading assigned for Advanced Placement classes.
Students will select a summer reading book on or before Friday, June 19. The following important conditions also should be noted:
* Students who enroll at LHS after June 23, Moving Up Day, or who wish to change their reading selection during the summer must inform Dr. Bertolini before August 1 at email@example.com.
* No student may change a book after August 1—no exceptions will be permitted.
* No more than 24 students may choose any one book.
* If a student wants to change a book during the summer, the book must still be available to select. The only way to ensure a new book is available is to email Dr. Bertolini immediately to receive a confirmation of the book change directly from Dr. Bertolini.