Recipe for Reading
Fidelity Observation Form
TEACHER"S NAME (LAST):
TEACHER"S NAME (FIRST):
Is this the first school year that the teacher has implemented the instructional model?
Has the observer established inter-rater reliability with someone trained in this program?
Date Picker Icon
UNIT AND DAY:
NUMBER OF STUDENTS OBSERVED:
GRADE LEVEL(S) OF STUDENTS OBSERVED:
NUMBER OF LESSONS TAUGHT TO DATE THIS SCHOOL YEAR:
Read the following statements and use the rating scale below to best describe your observation of the IMPLEMENTATION of each instructional skill. The observation should last through the entire reading lesson. Space is provided at the end of this form for comments. SCALE Rating 0 = Skill not demonstrated Rating 1 = Improperly Implemented Rating 2 = Somewhat Properly Implemented Rating 3 = Appropriately Implemented Leave the rating BLANK if the skill was NOT APPLICABLE to the observation
3 Part Drill (Steps 1, 2 and 3) should take around 10 minutes • Blending Drill: initially use the 3 times rule: I, we, you, but eventually point and sweep • New concept: introduce at least one new concept a week-include a multi-sensory activity; the syllable types(CLOVER) and syllable division strategy is taught as a new concept after ff, ll, ss, zz
1. Sound Card Drills: The teacher flashes all of the sound cards that have been learned. Students respond to each with the proper sound.*keep vowels and new concepts* rotate with cards that students are struggling with Required component-Auditory DrillAbout 15-20 cards
2. Sound-Symbol Practice: The teacher gives the sound of each letter or letter combination aloud. The students respond by naming the letter(s) aloud and then writing them.Optional: Vowel Intensive*Use phoneme/Grapheme chart Required component- Kinesthetic DrillSand, carpet pieces, gel…
3. Blending Drills: Sound cards are placed together to form words. Students sound each letter separately and then blend the sounds to form the word or syllable. Required component- Visual drill-3 card stacks
4.New Concept Introduced: Students are shown the new phonetic element and practice saying and writing the sound through tracing and copying. Object/something to connect
5. Word/Phrase Dictation: Teacher dictates words using the new phonetic element. Students repeat the word, spell it orally (pound and tap), and then write the word. Students then read the words they have written aloud. Required componentPound syllables and Tap sounds3-5 words
6. Sentence Dictation: Teacher dictates a sentence and students repeat the sentence and write it while saying each word aloud. Students then read the sentences aloud. Required componentAt least 1 sentence
7. Reading: Students read words, phrase, poems and/or vocabulary-controlled text containing only those sounds and high-frequency sight words previously taught. Required component-students should read phrases, sentences or texts rather than word lists
8. Red Words: Screen or textured surface is used to trace words 3 times. Arm tapping used. Required to teach 1-2 new red words a weekRecommended to review red words daily
9. Reinforcement: Students engage in word games or other reinforcement activities to practice and review phonic elements. Optional
General Lesson Procedures
Teacher prepares a written lesson plan for every session focusing on trouble spots and previously taught skills.
Lesson Activities are presented in the order prescribed.
Lesson Activity pacing is appropriate. Lesson begins within 2-3 minutes of designated time
Teacher is able to manage materials to transition from one activity to the next.
Error correction and questioning techniques are used throughout the lesson.
There is evidence of mastery for encoding and decoding in the student work folder.
Please rate using the following scale: Not At All (0) Needs Improvement (1) Satisfactory (2) Outstanding (3)
The time allocated for the lesson was sufficient.
The teacher covered an appropriate amount of material for the time allocated.
The delivery of the lesson was paced to students’ needs.
I really liked the way....
TOTAL NUMBER OF BLANK RATINGS:
Should be Empty: