“OPS OPEN” Playwriting Competition
- The “OPS OPEN” Playwriting Competition is open to all current Central & Western Pennsylvania and Cumberland and Frostburg, Maryland Residents.
- This is an OPEN playwriting competition with no particular theme requirement.
- We do not accept musicals, adaptations, screenplays, or full-length plays, and plays should not have been previously produced or published.
- Manuscripts should have no more than 10 characters and contain ONE Act. (NOTE: One Acts should have an approximate run-time of between 20 to 45 minutes).
- Scripts should use the traditional, standard format of Times New Roman or Courier font, 12-point font size, for easier readability.
- Manuscripts must NOT include the playwright's name on the PDF version of the script. All entries are judged anonymously (See the sample scoring rubric included below on this form, and use it to guide your writing.)
- Manuscripts must include a title page.
- Please do not append professional resumes or biographies to your entry; judges only consider manuscript quality.
- All playwrights who submit will be notified of their status via email.
- Entries are being accepted from November 1, 2023-February 1st, 2024. Entries submitted later than this date will not be considered.
- All rights are retained by the playwright.
- There is no age requirement to enter, but manuscripts will all be judged for their merits as professional dramatic works.
- Complete the online entry form, submit your $10.00 entry fee**(per manuscript), and upload your play/s. Electronic submissions are required. Multiple entries are permitted.
- Questions may be emailed to: email@example.com Please make sure that your your manuscript does not include any author information as judging will be anonymous.
Contingent upon the number of entries, awards will be presented to the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place winners.
Award packages may include:
- a full production of the 1st and 2nd place winners at the EIGHTH ANNUAL “OPS OPEN WINNER’S SHOWCASE” in the Spring of 2024
- a preview of the 3rd place winner (if applicable)
- an author's reception with OPS GUILD MEMBERS
- two free tickets to the Off Pitt Street Production of your choice (Excludes Dinner Theater and Limited Seating Performances)
- cash prizes contingent upon sponsorship and number of entries.
- winners will be asked to provide Biographical Info/vitae
**Entry fees are used solely to defray the cost of funding the award packages and any production expenses. Entry fee waivers are available to students in grades 6-12 (with supporting documentation)