Letterland 2015 (*2011 Adaptations noted throughout)First Grade Intervention Day 4
Fidelity Observation Form
TEACHER'S NAME (LAST):
TEACHER"S NAME (FIRST):
Is this the first school year that the teacher has implemented the instructional model?
Has the observer established inter-rater reliability with someone trained in this program?
DATE OF OBSERVATION:
NUMBER OF STUDENTS OBSERVED:
GRADE LEVEL(S) OF STUDENTS OBSERVED:
NUMBER OF LESSONS TAUGHT TO DATE THIS SCHOOL YEAR:
Read the following statements and use the rating scale below to best describe your observation of the IMPLEMENTATION of each instructional skill. The observation should last through the entire reading lesson. Space is provided at the end of this form for comments. SCALE Rating 0 = Skill not demonstrated Rating 1 = Improperly Implemented Rating 2 = Somewhat Properly Implemented Rating 3 = Appropriately Implemented Leave the rating BLANK if the skill was NOT APPLICABLE to the observation
1. Lesson preparation prior to instruction is evident.
2. Teacher is able to manage materials to transition from one activity to the next.
3. Lesson begins within 2-3 minutes of designated time.
4. Materials displayed to enhance instruction (e.g., posters, wall frieze, PCC, etc.).
5. Various instructional strategies are utilized.
6. Questioning techniques are used throughout the lesson.
7. Students are engaged and attentive.
Teacher / Student Engagement 1) Letter sounds (4-6 minutes) (Children conduct most activities cooperatively while teacher times individual reading of Students List.) 2011 Teachers Manual - Quick Dash (Only) Only score 8 – 11 below.
2015 Teachers Manual – Quick Dash 8. Teacher show picture side of 4-8 recently taught LSCs and then the plain letter.
9. Children respond to picture side with the character name or story logic and to the plain letter with the sound.
10.Teacher goes through 10-15 plain letter sides 2-3 times, faster each time.
11. Children respond with sounds(Option: Action Tricks)
2015 Teachers Manual – Guess Who?(Conducted by child) 12.Teacher keeps 8-15 LSCs out of sight and says sound.
13.Children repeat sounds and write or air-trace, and then name the letters or characters.
2) Word building: READING and spelling (5-8 minutes)
14. Children take turns in reading a Word Card for everyone to add to their own Written Word Sort.
15. All children write the words on the Written Word Sortunder the matching picture coded letter(s).
16. Children read completed papers to partners.
3) Word cards and fluency (5-7 minutes)
17. Teacher times each child twice reading Student List for 60 seconds. (120 seconds for Units 1-12).
18. Teacher records score and child fills in Reading Robot Racers Chart.
4) Tricky words and dictation (2-5 minutes)
19. Teacher dictates a sentence from Student List with rhythm and expression.
20. Children repeat the sentence twice in unison.
21. Children write the sentence.
22. Children read their sentence to teacher or partners.
5) Text reading – Read unit story (10 minutes)
23. Children read the Unit Story with a partner or other reading materials.
Use of Assessments
24. Evidence of end of unit fluency assessments have been administered and scored. (Reading Robots Racers Chart)
25. Evidence of end of unit spelling assessments have been administered and scored.
26. Data is used to inform instruction with activities for reviewing and re-teaching used as needed.
Please rate using the following scale: Not At All (0) Needs Improvement (1) Satisfactory (2) Outstanding (3)
27.The time allocated for the lesson was sufficient.
28.The teacher covered an appropriate amount of material for the time allocated.
29.The delivery of the lesson was paced to students’ needs.
TOTAL NUMBER OF BLANK RATINGS:
Should be Empty: