First Grade Whole Class Day 1
Fidelity Observation Form
TEACHER'S NAME (LAST):
TEACHER"S NAME (FIRST):
Is this the first school year that the teacher has implemented the instructional model?
Has the observer established inter-rater reliability with someone trained in this program?
DATE OF OBSERVATION:
NUMBER OF STUDENTS OBSERVED:
GRADE LEVEL(S) OF STUDENTS OBSERVED:
NUMBER OF LESSONS TAUGHT TO DATE THIS SCHOOL YEAR:
Read the following statements and use the rating scale below to best describe your observation of the IMPLEMENTATION of each instructional skill. The observation should last through the entire reading lesson. Space is provided at the end of this form for comments. SCALE Rating 0 = Skill not demonstrated Rating 1 = Improperly Implemented Rating 2 = Somewhat Properly Implemented Rating 3 = Appropriately Implemented Leave the rating BLANK if the skill was NOT APPLICABLE to the observation
1. Lesson preparation prior to instruction is evident.
2. Teacher is able to manage materials to transition from one activity to the next.
3. Lesson begins within 2-3 minutes of designated time.
4. Materials displayed to enhance instruction (e.g., posters, wall frieze, PCC, etc.).
5. Various instructional strategies are utilized.
6. Questioning techniques are used throughout the lesson.
7. Students are engaged and attentive.
Teacher / Student Engagement
Phonics concept review - 8. Children respond to Picture Code Cards (PCCs)or words using phonics from previous Unit.
Introduce new concepts - 9. Teacher explains new concepts with Letterlanders and ‘story logic’ interactively with children using various material.(PCCs, books, software, & songs)
10. Children do Action Tricks or role-play the story logic related to new sounds or patterns.
11. Word building: Teacher makes words including new concepts with PCCs or software.
12. Children finger tap the sounds to read the words.
‘Live Reading’13. Teacher lines up children holding PCCs to form words.
14. Other children finger tap the sounds to read the words.
15. Teacher or a child uses the word in a sentence.
Word Detectives - 16. Teacher displays or provides copies of sentences with new concepts.
17. Teacher reads sentences to and with children.
18. Teacher guides children in marking new phonic elements. (May be completed independently.)
Read Word Cards 19. Teacher guides reading of Word Cards in columns related by phonic pattern.
20. Children reread words a few times at an increasing pace.
Use of Assessments
21. Evidence of end of unit fluency assessments have been administered and scored. (Reading Robots Racers Chart)
22. Evidence of end of unit spelling assessments have been administered and scored.
23. Data is used to inform instruction with activities for reviewing and re-teaching used as needed.
Please rate using the following scale: Not At All (0) Needs Improvement (1) Satisfactory (2) Outstanding (3)
24.The time allocated for the lesson was sufficient.
25.The teacher covered an appropriate amount of material for the time allocated.
26.The delivery of the lesson was paced to students’ needs.
TOTAL NUMBER OF BLANK RATINGS:
Should be Empty: