Second Grade Whole Class Day 1
Fidelity Observation Form
TEACHER'S NAME (LAST):
TEACHER"S NAME (FIRST):
Is this the first school year that the teacher has implemented the instructional model?
Has the observer established inter-rater reliability with someone trained in this program?
DATE OF OBSERVATION:
Date Picker Icon
NUMBER OF STUDENTS OBSERVED:
GRADE LEVEL(S) OF STUDENTS OBSERVED:
NUMBER OF LESSONS TAUGHT TO DATE THIS SCHOOL YEAR:
Read the following statements and use the rating scale below to best describe your observation of the IMPLEMENTATION of each instructional skill. The observation should last through the entire reading lesson. Space is provided at the end of this form for comments. SCALE Rating 0 = Skill not demonstrated Rating 1 = Improperly Implemented Rating 2 = Somewhat Properly Implemented Rating 3 = Appropriately Implemented Leave the rating BLANK if the skill was NOT APPLICABLE to the observation
1. Lesson preparation prior to instruction is evident.
2. Teacher is able to manage materials to transition from one activity to the next.
3. Lesson begins within 2-3 minutes of designated time.
4. Materials displayed to enhance instruction (e.g., posters, wall frieze, PCC, etc.).
5. Various instructional strategies are utilized.
6. Questioning techniques are used throughout the lesson.
7. Students are engaged and attentive.
Teacher / Student Engagement
Phonics concept review - 8. Children respond to Picture Code Cards (PCCs)
or words using phonics from previous Unit.
Introduce new concepts - 9. Teacher explains new concepts with Letterlanders and ‘story logic’ interactively with children using various material.(PCCs, books, software, & songs)
10. Children role-play the story logic related to new sounds, patterns, or syllable types (most lessons).
11.Teacher builds words with PCCs or software (plain letters) leaving spaces between syllables. (Units 32–42: children decide where to divide
12. Children identify each syllable type and predict the vowel sound.
13. Teacher turns vowel PCCs to picture side.
14. Children finger tap and ‘palm syllables’ to read the words. (similar to first grade)
‘Live Reading’ - 15. Teacher lines up children holding PCCs to form words with spaces between syllables. (Units 32-42;Children decide on syllable division.)
16. Other children identify each syllable type and predict the vowel sound.
17. Children with PCCs turn vowels to picture side.
18. Other children finger tap each syllable.
19. Children with PCCs close the spaces between syllables and others palm the syllable to read the whole word.
Word Detectives - 20. Teacher reads sentences to and with children.
21. Teacher guides children in Quick Coding new concepts. (May be completed independently.)
Read Word Cards - 22. Teacher guides reading of Word Cards in columns related by phonic pattern.
23. Children reread words at an increasing pace.
Use of Assessments
24. Evidence of end of unit fluency assessments have been administered and scored. (Reading Robots Racers Chart)
25. Evidence of end of unit spelling assessments have been administered and scored.
26. Data is used to inform instruction with activities for reviewing and re-teaching used as needed.
Please rate using the following scale: Not At All (0) Needs Improvement (1) Satisfactory (2) Outstanding (3)
27.The time allocated for the lesson was sufficient.
28.The teacher covered an appropriate amount of material for the time allocated.
29.The delivery of the lesson was paced to students’ needs.
TOTAL NUMBER OF BLANK RATINGS:
Should be Empty: