TEACHER"S NAME (LAST):
TEACHER"S NAME (FIRST):
Is this the first school year that the teacher has implemented the instructional model?
Has the observer established inter-rater reliability with someone trained in this program?
DATE OF OBSERVATION:
Date Picker Icon
NUMBER OF STUDENTS OBSERVED
GRADE LEVEL(S) OF STUDENTS OBSERVED :
NUMBER OF LESSONS TAUGHT TO DATE THIS SCHOOL YEAR:
Read the following statements and use the rating scale below to best describe your observation of the IMPLEMENTATION of each instructional skill. The observation should last through the entire reading lesson. Space is provided at the end of this form for comments. SCALE Rating 0 = Skill not demonstrated Rating 1 = Improperly Implemented Rating 2 = Somewhat Properly Implemented Rating 3 = Appropriately Implemented Leave the rating BLANK if the skill was NOT APPLICABLE to the observation
1. Lesson preparation, with the use of the teacher’s manual and Connect-Ed supplemental materials/training, prior to instruction is evident.
2. Materials displayed to enhance instruction (e.g.,Establishing the Course, etc.).
3. Lesson begins within 2-3 minutes of designated time.
4.Teacher is able to manage materials to transition from one activity to the next.
5. Classroom procedures (from Establishing the Course)are followed and addressed throughout the lesson as needed.
6. Classroom set-up facilitates learning for whole group,pairs, and individual work.
7. Students are engaged and attentive.
8. Class schedule is an average of 90 minutes per day.
9. Class schedule is an average of 60 minutes per day.
Teacher / Student Engagement
10. Warm-Up is at beginning of lesson that includes either a vocabulary type question or question about current novel.
11. During Thinking Reading, the teacher models and guides students of what a good reader does while reading including forecasting strategy, applying strategies, or integrating strategies.
12. During explicit instruction, the teacher describes,models, or leads practice in the strategy .
13. The teacher follows the 7 Step Vocabulary Process to teach the vocabulary sets.
14. Teacher includes a Wrap-Up of the day’s lesson including summarizing the current lesson and previewing the next lesson.
15. There is evidence of student book, studies and progress checked towards the independent book study.
16. Possible Selves (middle of year 1)– There is evidence of action plans/action plans revisited.
Use of Assessments
17. Standarized additional testing piece is in use and documented.
18. Student’s progress is appropriately charted in teacher data notebook.
19. End of strategy testing data is evident in teacher notebook.
20. Student notebook, journal and vocabulary are in use and up-to-date.
Please rate using the following scale: Not At All (0) Needs Improvement (1) Satisfactory (2) Outstanding (3)
21. The time allocated for the lesson was sufficient.
22. The teacher covered an appropriate amount of material for the time allocated.
23. The delivery of the lesson was paced to students’ needs.
TOTAL NUMBER OF BLANK RATINGS:
Should be Empty: