The Children’s Museum of Manhattan is New York City’s cultural destination for children and families. We work every day to make transformational experiences available to all children – to inspire their curiosity about the world and their confidence to explore it. We do so by offering fun, immersive, interactive opportunities for families and children with emphasis on healthy lifestyles, early childhood learning, creativity in the arts and sciences, and world cultures. By tackling complex ideas in engaging, innovative ways that children can see, hear, and touch, we set the standard for what a children’s museum should be. More than 350,000 families walk through our doors each year. Thousands more enjoy the museum experience through our diverse outreach programs at schools, shelters, libraries, and hospitals.
The Education Department at the Children’s Museum is looking for dedicated and self-motivated interns for its Fall/Winter Internship Program. Selected interns will help conduct school visits for children, facilitate on-site public programming for our visiting families, and assist in lesson plan writing and development. We are currently seeking interns who can commit to a minimum of 3 days per week from the beginning of September through mid-January.
Time commitments are flexible and can range from 20-25 hours per week (Mon-Fri) and/or one weekend day depending on availability and the department's needs. Hours range from full day (9:30am – 5:30pm) to half day, (9:30am – 2:30pm or 1:30pm – 5:30pm) depending on the needs of the department.
Both undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to apply, as well as those pursuing a second career.
• Are currently enrolled or have completed a degree in the Arts, Education, Museum Studies, or other related fields;
• Have experience working with children (ages 2-10);
• Are enthusiastic individuals with a sense of humor and ability to work in a flexible environment;
• Can work independently or in a group;
• Communicate effectively with others;
• Demonstrate interest in education or the museum field.
Acceptance and Notification:
• Acceptance into the internship program is based on academic achievement, interests, experience, related skills, motivation, and availability;
• Time commitments are flexible and can range from 20-25 hours per week (Mon-Fri) and/or one weekend day depending on availability and department needs;
• Internships can be applied to fulfill course requirements and/or college credit;
• All internships are unpaid;
• Only those candidates who have completed the application and are invited for interviews will receive notification. Unfortunately, we receive too many applications to respond to everyone.