IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION IF YOU SMELL PROPANE
(HEATING OIL, GASOLINE or DIESEL FUEL SHOULD BE TREATED THE SAME).
1. NO FLAMES OR SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
2. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect a leak.
3. SHUT OFF THE SOURCE. If safe to do so, turn off the main supply valve on each of your storage tanks. To close the valve, turn it clockwise to the right.
4. REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbour's home or other nearby area away from the leak, call your supplier. If you can't reach your supplier, call 911 or your local fire department.
5. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until your supplier, emergency responder, or qualified technician determines it is safe to do so.
6. GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your appliances or storage containers, your supplier or a qualified technician must check your entire system for leaks.
NOTE: Due to the possibility of odour loss or problems with your ability to smell these products, you should respond immediately to even a faint odour.
1. LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS. Only a qualified service technician has the training to install, inspect, service, maintain, modify and repair your appliances and/or storage containers.
2. THE CONSUMER IS RESPONSIBLE to ensure that appliances and/or storage containers are maintained and inspected annually by a qualified technician.
3. VISUAL CHECKS of appliances and/or storage containers should be conducted by the consumer. Brush, snow, ice and other hazards around outside equipment should be removed to prevent damage. Any anomalies should be reported to your supplier immediately.
CO AND YOUR SAFETY
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE (CO)? CO is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and toxic gas caused by incomplete combustion. High levels of CO can come from motor vehicle exhaust and appliances that are not operating correctly.
CO CAN BE DEADLY! High levels of CO can cause brain damage or death. Symptoms of CO poisoning include: headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, and nausea.
CO DETECTORS CAN IMPROVE SAFETY. Many jurisdictions require CO detectors installed in your home and can act as an extra measure of safety.
IF YOU SUSPECT CO IS PRESENT, ACT IMMEDIATELY!
1. If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
2. If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air, and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing CO.
3. If no one has symptoms but you suspect that CO is present, call your Supplier or a qualified service technician to check CO levels and your appliances.
RUNNING OUT OF HEATING OIL or PROPANE
After a run out has occurred, appliances must be restarted by a licensed technician. The heating system, storage container and supply lines must also be inspected to ensure the complete system is leak free.
UNOCCUPIED or SEASONAL LOCATIONS
Consumers have a responsibility to ensure appliances and/or storage containers at unoccupied locations operate in the desired manner. Supervision should be arranged to prevent freeze-ups or other potential hazards when away for extended periods.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION CAN RESULT IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, SERIOUS INJURY, OR DEATH.