Driver Assessment Quiz
Please select the best answer per question.
1. In Texas, what is the maximum load width you can haul before requiring an oversize permit?
2. In Texas, what is the maximum total height you can legally haul before obtaining a permit?
No maximum height.
3. In Texas, what is the maximum rear overhang allowed before obtaining a permit?
No overhang allowed
4. What is the maximum gross combined weight of a conventional truck and trailer combination allowed by the USDOT before a permit is necessary?
5. What is the maximum allowed weight on a set of closed tandem axles?
6. When hauling a permitted load, must the driver must follow the designated route?
Only If it is the shortest route.
7. Whose responsibility is it to ensure that the proper tractor-trailer documents are present and up to date?
8. When is it okay to have alcohol in the sleeper berth?
10 hour break
On a 34 hour restart
Anytime as long as it’s out of reach
9. What percentage of the trailer’s rub-rail and bumper must have the red and silver reflective tape on it?
10. When hauling a forklift, how may tie downs do you need if the machine weighs 11,500 lbs?
11. Whether or not you personally load and secure the cargo, you are responsible for
Inspecting the cargo
Recognizing overload and/or poor weight distribution
Knowing your cargo is properly secured
All of the above
12. What is the minimum number of tie downs for a 25' long load with no bulkhead?
1 tie down
2 tie downs
3 tie downs
4 tie downs
13. When hauling palletized freight, how many tie downs are required at the front of the load?
14. If you find yourself at a low bridge where there ‘seems’ to be enough room. How do you proceed?
15. As found in the FMCSA guidelines, what is the maximum number of hours a driver can legally drive within a 24¬Hour period?
No limit, as long as driver is not tired.
16. If a driver takes a 2 hour OFF DUTY break, do the 2 hours count towards the total 14 hours allowed for the day?
17. The FMCSA requires all commercial vehicle drivers to take a mandatory 30¬ minute break within the first 8 hours of going on duty or driving.
18. Per FMCSA guidelines, what is the minimum number of hours a driver must sit before starting a new work day?
19. On the driver’s logs, is it necessary to write the B/L #? (Bill of Lading/Waybill)
20. When getting loaded, you notice that the load is going to be over-sized. What do you do?
Drive to the nearest truck stop, call dispatch to wait further instruction
Call dispatch and request a permit
Run it down the road because it's only 60 miles.
Refuse the load
21. When strapping down a load, describe how to secure the strap-hook to the trailer.
22. If it is Tuesday and your DOT compliance officer informs you that you forgot a ’30 min OFF DUTY DOT Break’ on Monday, how do you proceed?
23. It is 2am CST. When fueling up, you notice there is a running light that has burned out on your trailer, how do you proceed?
24. In your opinion, when should a strap be placed out of service?
25. Using the driver log diagram below, correctly fill out the following scenario abiding by ALL FMCSA regulations. | Details: Bo (Bandit) Darville has been instructed by Big Enos and Little Enos to haul 400 cases of Coors beer from Texarkana, Texas to the Southern Classic in Atlanta, Georgia. | Total millage is 706. This load is must get there, so manage your time wisely. -Drive to Texarkana, TX and layover until the loading dock opens at 5am. PTI and Load up. -Fuel in Tuscaloosa, AL 2:02 CST. -Deliver by 7pm CST at the Fairgrounds in Atlanta, GA -There is a small crack in the passenger side windshield. -No co-driver. Date: 3/21/2016 | B/L # 1234 | Tractor # SN-MAN | Trailer # 80k | Employee # 123-456-7 Texarkana > Tuscaloosa, Al 494 miles. | Tuscaloosa, AL > Atlanta, GA 212 miles | Total: 706
26. Please circle and detail what is wrong with the following log. Utilize any FMCSA RODS rules you may know.
Should be Empty:
Now create your own JotForm - It's free!
Create your own JotForm