The College of Engineering will:
1. reserve the right to decide if mentors and/or mentees are not suitable as participants in the Mentor Program and can terminate, remove, or exclude participants at sole discretion
2. make no guarantees or promises regarding the accuracy or quality of any advice imparted to mentees; the College makes no claim as to the quality of any mentee or mentor, his/her suitability to provide academic advice, career coaching, or professional development advice
By selecting "Next", I acknowledge I am in alignment with the PURPOSE and accept the CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION for the College of Engineering Alumni Mentor Program.
When setting goals and appropriate expections at the start of a mentoring relationship, it is critical to establish expectations that can be agreed upon by both parties. Values & standards that will help to provide the foundation for a strong mentoring relationship include the following:
- Respect: Mutual respect forms the foundation of the successful mentoring relationship. Learning is greatly enhanced when each person feels a senes of personal and professional respect for one another.
- Accountability: In a mentoring relationship, accountability can only exist where respect exists. Care through accountability is expressed by sticking to agreed upon expectations, tracking goals, and consistent mentoring activities.
- Focus: Mentoring goals should be focused on the advancement of the College of Engineering community, including current students and alumni, and professional development. Students are strongly discouraged from entering the Program with the expectation of gaining internships or full-time employment.
- Confidentiality: To maintain the integrity of the relationship, agree to identify information as confidential when sensitive topics are brought up
- Honesty: Agree to be honest at all times.
- Integrity: Alignment in what is said and what is done.
- Individuality: Agree not to ignore or trivialize differences in opinion. Openly discuss differences to build trust in the relationship.
- Collaboration: Recognize the importance of collaboration.