WHEN YOU SIGN AN APPLICATION AS A SPONSOR FOR AN EMMAUS WALK, YOU ACCEPT CERTAIN RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THAT CANDIDATE.
These responsibilities are the BARE MINIMUM for sponsoring a Pilgrim.
If you are not willing to do these things, do not sign as a sponsor for a Pilgrim.
1. PRAY FOR THEM! Before you ever approach them about attending an Emmaus Walk, after they have applied to attend the Walk, while they are on the Walk, and when they return from the Walk.
2. TELL THEM WHAT THE EMMAUS WALK IS ALL ABOUT: Don’t be secretive; don’t even use the word ‘secret.’ Tell them everything. Be open about the talks, table discussions, singing, prayer services, etc. Give the book What Is Emmaus? by Stephen Bryant to read.
3. BEFORE MAILING IN THE APPLICATION: Discuss the Walk to Emmaus with their spouse (if married) and assist them, if needed, in obtaining their pastor’s signature on the Pilgrim Application.
4. TELL THEM WHAT THEY WILL NEED FOR THE WALK AND WHAT THEY DO NOT NEED.
NEED: Comfortable clothing, jacket, towel & washcloth, personal items, money for the book table (optional), medications
DO NOT BRING: Books, radios, clocks, cellular phones, pagers, food, camera, etc.
5. HELP THEM WITH SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES THAT MAY AFFECT THEM WHILE THEY ARE ON THE WALK SUCH AS:
Child care, house sitting, car pools, meals, etc. If you cannot take care of these things, find someone who can.
6. WRITE & OBTAIN AGAPE LETTERS: Write a personal agape letter to your Pilgrim and arrange for other letters from their spouse, children, relatives and close friends. Bring all letters when you deliver your Pilgrim to the Walk.
7. PRAYER AGAPE: Prayer is the most important gift you can give to your Pilgrim. Sign up for the prayer clock at http://www.cotemmaus.org.
8. FOLLOW-UP: Be sure to make contact – especially the next day. Escort the new Pilgrim to the Walk Follow-up meeting. Take your Pilgrim to the next Gathering. Persevere by helping your Pilgrim join a Reunion Group.
CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOUR PILGRIM.
9. CONCERNING THE SATURDAY EVENING AGAPE DINNER: Questions have been raised about sponsors and spouses serving their Pilgrim this dinner. The 4th Day Walk Board Director has made prior arrangements with the 4th Day Community to prepare and serve this dinner. The sponsor & spouse’s contact with the Pilgrim on Saturday is to be limited to Candlelight. It is important that each Pilgrim receive the same treatment. Your cooperation is sincerely appreciated.
SCHEDULE OF IMPORTANT TIMES
THURSDAY: 7:00 – 7:45 PM - BRING YOUR PILGRIM TO THE WALK SITE and ensure they eat prior to arrival. Light snacks will be provided that night, but not a meal.
THURSDAY: 8:00 – 9:00 PM – STAY FOR SPONSOR’S PRAYER HOUR
SATURDAY: 8:30 PM - ATTEND the CANDLELIGHT - THIS IS A MUST
SUNDAY: 4:00 PM – ATTEND CLOSING and drive them home from the Walk; this is not a time for them to be alone. Only in cases of emergency should you ever consider not attending a closing. If an emergency arises, make sure someone will represent you for your Pilgrim and send a note to them explaining your absence.
TO ALL 4TH DAY: THE USE OF CAMERAS IS PROHIBITED DURING AN EMMAUS WALK!
Room and table assignments are handled by the Walk Team. NO requests are permitted.
If printed, send this form with the completed pilgrim application and check to:
CRADLE OF TEXAS EMMAUS COMMUNITY – ATTENTION REGISTRAR – P. O. BOX 563 – LAKE JACKSON, TX 77566
Remember: “CHRIST IS COUNTING ON YOU.”
Cradle of Texas Emmaus Community