Builder Rules & Regulations
1. ELIGIBILITY. The home must be located within the boundaries of DURHAM, ORANGE OR CHATHAM COUNTIES (to be judged*). Special exceptions for judging may apply if the entry is located in a subdivision that straddles the county lines. Entries in surrounding counties may be accepted in the DOC Parade under certain conditions. Contact the HBA for details.
2. DEADLINES. Deadlines are stated as a date and require online entry by 5 PM on that date. Required collateral items will be given a deadline after the entry is received online. If collateral items are not received by the given deadline, the entry rate may be changed to the next deadline.
3. AFFORDABLE HOUSING DISCOUNT. Entries with a certified sales price of $200,000 or less may be entered at $1,500/entry, if submitted on or before the Regular Deadline.
4. BOOK ILLUSTRATION. Please submit a PDF of your floorplan and front elevation to Julie@hbadoc.com (NOTE: please send clean pdf of original copy straight from CAD). PLEASE CIRCLE/CROSS OUT ANY OPTIONS THAT ARE/ARE NOT IN THIS PARTICULAR HOME. Complete all items on the Color Selection Sheet. All renderings & floorplans will be created by contracted artists. Changing elevations or floor plans after the entry is received may be possible (if production schedule allows) for a fee of $200 plus illustration cost.
5. WITHDRAWAL OF ENTRY. If an entry is withdrawn prior to July 20, 2018, a $500 refund will be paid. The entry WILL NOT appear in any Parade publications if the refund is paid. Notice of withdrawal must be delivered to the HBADOC in writing.
6. JUDGING DAY. Entries will be judged on Thur. Oct. 4, 2018. The house must be open from 9 am until the house has been judged by TWO TEAMS of new home industry professionals from outside our area. Each team of judges will
leave a calling card to let you know they have visited the home. We will attempt to match judges with the product with which they are most familiar (in terms of price/style). The decision of the judges is final - The Parade Committee has no saying in the judging.
7. JUDGED HOMES MUST BE OPEN THROUGHOUT THE PARADE. Only houses that are available for viewing by the public during the ENTIRE Parade will be judged. If a home is sold and not available, it will not be judged. If a home wins an Award and then is found to be unavailable for viewing all 3 Parade weekends, a $500 fine will be issued to the builder and the builder will NOT be allowed to enter another Parade of Homes until the fine is paid.
8. ELIGIBILITY FOR JUDGING. All entries that are complete (ready for a Certificate of Occupancy to be issuedor C.O. issued by the respective Inspections Department) will be judged. Incomplete entries will NOT be judged. Judges will not enter a Parade entry where work is still going on. There will be no exceptions to this requirement.
9. DECORATING PARADE ENTRIES. Judges will be instructed to consider only issues relating to house construction and completion (painting quality, but not color, for example). The price category will be determined based on the cost of reproducing the entry (including upgrades but excluding furnishings, if requested by a customer) using the pricing that exists when the Parade begins.
10. PRICE DISCREPANCIES. If any entry is considered by the judges to be entered at a price lower than it would be available, or if a complaint is filed with the HBADOC Office that the price is understated, it will be the sole responsibility of the Parade of Homes Builder Advisory Committee to determine the validity of the price. Entries determined to have been deliberately understated in price will be disqualified from judging.
11. PRICE CERTIFICATION Part I. A certification form will be sent out in late July and must be signed & returned by the date indicated. This price will be published in the Parade Book. If the home sells after the price is certified and upgrades are included prior to judging, the Builder agrees to notify the HBADOC Office of the price effect of those changes. The price should be the same as the MLS listing.
12. PRICE CERTIFICATION PART II. Prices for the homes are certified by the Builder entrant. The certified price must reflect the normal pricing the Builder uses with the same profit expectation the Builder would have if building the home for a customer. The price must include the lot, all construction features in the home entered, any upgrade costs related to options that are shown, and all amenities that would be included if a similar home sold during judging.
13. ENTERING THE SAME HOUSE IN MULTIPLE YEARS (BIRTHDAY HOUSE). There is a special rate for “Birthday Houses” (homes that have been entered in previous years’ Parade of Homes). ANY HOUSE (MODEL HOME OR SPEC HOME) THAT HAS BEEN ENTERED IN A PREVIOUS PARADE WILL NOT BE JUDGED. A home may only be entered in a total of two (2) Parade of Homes.
14. PARADE BOOK PAGE PROOF. Builders will receive a PROOF of their Parade book page in late July/early August. This proof is NOT an opportunity to re-write marketing statements already submitted. It is merely an opportunity to see the information the Builder submitted at deadline. The Builder will have until the date indicated to notify the HBA of any mistakes that must be corrected. If no response is received, the information will print as submitted. Errors and omissions will be the sole responsibility of the Builder, if no corrections are pointed out during the time allotted. The Parade Committee & book publisher retain complete editorial control of material to be printed and will exercise that control to ensure a high quality, consistent product.
15. CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE. Each builder is required to provide a copy of your liability insurance showing that it is current (for the EVENT DATES) and listing the HBA of Durham, Orange & Chatham Counties as additional insured. Your insurance company can email this form directly to the HBA (Julie@hbadoc.com). The HBADOC address is 1821 Hillandale Road, Suite 1B-138, Durham, NC 27705 (your insurance company will need our address for the process). The Certificate of Insurance is due by 7.20.18.
16. SIGNAGE. The Parade signage (& logo) may only be used to promote this entry. If the signage and logo are used to promote a non-parade home during the Parade, the Builder may be prohibited from entering future Parades. If a home will not be available for viewing (late sale & occupied or incomplete), builders will be required to order a 1’ x 4’ sign through the HBA (at additional expense) to be placed across the face of the 4’ x 4’ yard sign during Parade.
The Builder and the HBADOC agree to indemnify and hold each other harmless from and against all claims, losses, costs, damages, expenses and liabilities for bodily injury, death, or property damage arising out of or in connection with any and all occurrences on or about the home, caused in whole or in part by the other.
This entry was built by a Builder Member in good standing of the HBADOC, has never been occupied and will not be occupied prior to October 22, 2018.
The Builder will strictly adhere to all the deadlines published for submission of materials to the HBADOC.
This home will be open to the public during all official Parade days and hours.
The Builder will notify HBADOC immediately, if (s)he believes that the entry will not be complete prior to Oct. 4, 2018.
This home will be neat and free of potential hazards. If the home is not safe, the Builder will post a sign saying “DO NOT ENTER” prominently on the property and will remove any Parade signs that may have been posted. THIS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BUILDER!
The Builder will remove ALL SIGNAGE by January 1, 2019.
I understand that the attached entry fee covers the cost of this entry and includes:
· Multi-media advertising campaign including television, radio and print for the Triangle Parade of Homes.
· Space in the HBADOC Parade Tour Magazine, featuring a rendering of my entry, the floor plans, and information about the house (as furnished by me), and contact information for my company for use in the months after the Parade.
· Inclusion of my entry on the www.TriangleParadeofHomes.com website, mobile media app, and social media using the material from the Parade Book page.
· A large sign (NOTE SIZE: 4’ x 4’) for the yard at the house & up to 5 directional signs to guide visitors to the home.
· An electronic file of the rendering of the house (plan view), upon request.
· Copies of the Parade Book for distribution at my house, or for use by my marketing team.
I do hereby certify that: This entry is the result of an original design and I have obtained the legal right to use the design from the copyright owner and to the design as represented in the structure, plans, specifications and drawings for the house. I further represent that I have not pledged, assigned, or encumbered the rights to the design and that such design does not violate any copyright, property, or common law rights of others. I hereby indemnify and hold harmless the HBADOC from any and all claims of third parties, including, but not limited to, copyright infringement or conversion, which may be asserted as a result of the inclusion of the house in the Parade or the inclusion of the drawings or floor plans of the house in any publication, including on the World Wide Web page, of the HBADOC publicizing or in conjunction with the 2018 Parade of Homes.
If an Act of God prevents the scheduled events from being observed, I agree that the Parade of Homes Committee shall have the authority to re-schedule the Parade dates at its sole discretion.
I have read and do hereby agree to abide by all the Rules and Regulations as set forth above for the 2018 Parade of Homes. I understand that failure to comply with any of the above Rules and Regulations subjects me to forfeiture of any and all privileges relating to the Parade and that serious offenses may result in disqualification from future Parades of Homes.