To: AdironDuck Race Volunteers
From: Bill Waite, Program Specialist
Re: 2019 Duck Race Volunteers
In advance preparation for the AdironDuck Race Weekend on Sunday, April 28th, I wish to express my deepest appreciation to the volunteers who make such an event possible. Without your assistance, these activities would be little more than ideas on paper. If you are interesting in volunteering, please RSVP with your intent to volunteer. The sooner you respond, the better able we will be to match you with a room or other form of lodging. We have set a goal date of April 24th, 2019 for everyone interested to RSVP. Many weeks of planning and preparation will go into this event.
We will need volunteers starting at 8:00 AM Saturday until everything has been cleaned upon Sunday after the event. With this in mind, we are asking the following of interested volunteers for that weekend:
1. We encourage volunteers to arrive sometime on Friday.
2. All volunteers will report to breakfast by 8:00 AM on Saturday.
2. Volunteers will be asked to assist in more than one area throughout the weekend.
3. All volunteers will assist with pre-duck day preparations on Saturday.
4. All volunteers will need to be ready to work at 7:30 AM on Sunday.
5. We need assistance from all volunteers in the cleanup process. Clean up takes about 1/10th the time that the preparation does.
In exchange for your dedication and work to this project each volunteer will receive the following:
1. Friday and Saturday Night Lodgings.
2. Saturday breakfast, chicken barbecue lunch, and dinner.
3. Early Breakfast for the Pancake Breakfast
4. Lunch on Sunday.
5. The satisfaction of knowing that you are assisting Oswegatchie in accomplishing its mission.
Be prepared for all types of weather. This goes for working and lodging. Warm beds sometimes become scarce duck race weekend.
Let it be known, now that since we have made so much progress over the years, we may assign tasks that are not clearly about duck race. For example, campsite clean up, maple clean up, or machine work. However, to put the best face on Oswegatchie and make it ready, we will use volunteers to the fullest of our abilities. Just be prepared for all types of work.
Notes from 2017
- We are going to put spouses / parents as teams together on projects, unless one spouse will be the dedicated caregiver to their kids.
- If you are bringing your dog, please have a crate in your sleeping area and the dog in the crate when you are not with your dog. Keep Dogs on leash and pick up any excrement.
- We are also trying to track more data on volunteers to group crews better together. You will notice this below.
If you have any questions about the Duck Derby or any other volunteering opportunity, simply contact Oswegatchie. We look forward to hearing from everyone and having an excellent weekend.
Duck Master General