The National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement (NACOLE) is soliciting all civilian oversight entities in the United States to participate in the following survey in order to develop the first comprehensive directory of all oversight agencies and their characteristics.
The NACOLE Oversight Agency Characteristics Database (NOACD) will be updated regularly and will be made available to the public for oversight practitioners, scholars, and academics to use for further research to advance civilian oversight law enforcement.
The NOACD will also be housed within NACOLE's Civilian Oversight Directory web application. This application, developed with support from the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) office, will allow end users to search, filter, and compare oversight agencies across the country by various essential functions and characteristics.
This survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. It will ask a variety of questions about the functions, authority, and structure of your oversight agency. In addition to having an understanding of your agency's functions and structure, respondents are strongly advised to have the following information on-hand before beginning the survey:
- Total budget of your oversight agency for the most recent fiscal year;
- Total budget of the law enforcement agency overseen for the most recent fiscal year;
- Total number of staff and their positions;
- Total number of sworn personnel for all law enforcement agencies overseen and the year for this estimate;
- The most recent estimate of the civilian population under your oversight agency's jurisdiction and the year for this estimate;
- Year your oversight agency was created;
- Level of access to various internal and external sources of information (IA databases, CAD, EWS, personnel files, etc.);
- Board/Commission composition and appointment (where applicable);
- Copies of enabling legislation and any other relevant documentation in either PDF or Microsoft Word format
(file size limit: 100MB per file)
Once you begin the survey, you must complete it in order for your oversight agency's information to be submitted. Many questions require responses to advance to the next section and users cannot leave a question blank and return to it later. Respondents CANNOT complete one portion of the survey, save their results, and finish the rest at a later time. Please be prepared to respond to the survey in its entirety before beginning.
To make changes or corrections to your submission, please write to email@example.com.