Position: Associate Pastor of Discipleship and Christian Education
Accountable to: Senior Pastor
Purpose: To provide leadership in the church’s ministry of discipleship, education and youth while providing leadership to and supervision of staff members and volunteers involved in these ministries.
Preferred Background: at least three years of successful experience functioning as a positive and productive member of a team ministry and on the clergy roster of the LCMS.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Organize and develop the discipleship model for the church.
2. Development of the small-group ministry of the church that, rather than only teaching to engage the intellect and form relationships also values action, high demand/commitment and risk engagement as disciples of Jesus in mission to our Las Vegas community.
3. Pour into training leaders and facilitators for our small group model, providing material support and resourcing of the groups.
4. Plan and coordinate conferences, retreats, service events and celebrations to enrich the spiritual life of the congregation.
5. Help the congregation members understand their individual gifts and ministries, equipping them to use those gifts.
6. Intentionally work to identify and develop leaders to expand the work of ministry with an emphasis on reaching those who don’t know Jesus.
7. Establish departmental goals and objectives by prioritizing related programs, managing the use of facilities, planning an appropriate budget, delegating tasks and evaluating progress regularly.
1. Plan, direct, lead and focus programs of nurture, service, education and fellowship for the total parish youth ministry.
2. Integrate newly confirmed and high-school youth into youth ministry and congregational life responsibilities.
3. Provide leadership in the congregational young adult ministries.
4. Encourage and promote spiritual renewal opportunities, including retreats, youth gatherings, conferences, servant events, etc., as well as small-group Bible studies.
5. Counsel and equip youth to minister to each other, to the congregation, to inactive youth and to unchurched youth.
6. Identify, recruit and train and delegate to lay adult volunteers to assist in youth in programs.
7. Serve as the staff liaison to the Children’s and Youth Committee.
1. Help plan, direct and delegate in programs of Christian education, such as Sunday school, Vacation Bible School, adult Bible studies, etc.
2. Help recruit, train and equip and delegate to teachers and staff of the various Christian education programs.
3. Help the Senior Pastor to plan and teach confirmation.
4. Serve as a resource person to the School Ministry Action Committee.
5. Develop ministry targeting school children and their families.
Shared Pastoral Responsibilities
1. Assist in worship and preaching.
2. Teach in the adult education program.
3. Conduct weddings and funerals, providing appropriate preparation and support.
4. Assist in hospital and shut-in visitation.
5. Attend staff meetings and retreats.
6. Attend regular Elder and Children’s and Youth Committee meetings as a resource and for informational purposes.
7. Serve on the Executive Staff team.
8. Represent the church by serving on denomination committees and community organizations.
9. Cooperate with the Senior Pastor by performing any other duties when asked to do so.