Want to grow fresh, nutrient-dense food for a great cause? The AMI Farm at Augusta Health is looking for a new team member to join us in growing produce to fuel healthy bodies and vibrant communities.
POSITION TITLE: Allegheny Mountain Institute (AMI) Farm at Augusta Health Assistant
MISSION: Allegheny Mountain Institute (AMI) is a 501(c)3 educational nonprofit organization that cultivates healthy
communities through food and education.
VISION: A thriving network of collaborative, vibrant communities who value the connection between food and health.
HISTORY: AMI was founded in 2011 (as Allegheny Mountain School) as an intensive hands-on cooperative experiential learning and training program designed to teach members of our communities to grow and prepare their own food and to understand the nutritional benefits of eating seasonally.
The AMI Farm at Augusta Health PROGRAM: The AMI Farm at Augusta Health is a joint venture of AMI and Augusta Health to raise awareness about the importance of healthy eating and sustainable growing practices. AMI and Augusta Health share the vision that access to excellent health care includes access to healthy food. The project is rooted in the missions of both organizations to promote health and wellbeing in the community.
GENERAL DEFINITION AND PURPOSE OF WORK: The Assistant will report to the Farmer and is responsible for assisting in all operational aspects of the AMI Farm at Augusta Health. The position will fulfill daily and weekly tasks to support the Farmer.
Education of the broader community is a key component of the Allegheny Mountain Institute, and a competitive applicant will have an interest in this area. All of our work is rooted in organic, regenerative agricultural practices, so the AMI Farm Intern should have a deep philosophical and operational agreement with such methods
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ TASKS:
• Assist in crop production through planting, harvesting, processing, and inventory control.
• Regular garden set up and maintenance, including:
− Irrigation systems and repair.
− Inspections and managing repairs of the farm infrastructure; including garden fences; trellises, rodent traps, etc.
− Grass cutting, weed management, and mulching as needed.
• Responsible for maintaining a high standard of cleanliness, neatness and order at the AMI Farm at
• Plan, coordinate and participate as an AMI ambassador in public visits and educational outreach
events as needed, including Educator workshops for curriculum development.
QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Ready to work and eager to learn.
• Willingness to learn about organic vegetable production and management, post-handling, and
processing and storage.
• Willingness to learn about sustainable food systems.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
• Must be comfortable working outside.
• Must be able to lift 50 (+) pounds regularly.
• Must have valid Driver’s License and good driving record.
• Willingness to work occasional nights and weekends for special events.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time, seasonal, nonexempt position, available immediately. Benefits package includes: farmgrown food share, and earned vacation/sick leave, plus holidays. This position requires occasional weekend and evening work.
NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY: Allegheny Mountain Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin, disability, political affiliation, or marital status. AMI is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY: Please send a single compiled .pdf file including a cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or mailed applications, please.