We run more than 20 groups, mostly after school hours on weekdays.
Participants are grouped by age and ability, with consideration given to the dynamics and cohesiveness of the group, as well as the goals of each individual. We have groups from kinder age through to adolescents and young adults.
All groups are run by a fully qualified speech pathologist, mentored by our principals. Groups usually also have a speech assistant who facilitates activities, helps manage the participants and takes notes for distribution by email after the session. Groups run for 45 minutes at the same time each week. Most participants attend weekly, some fortnightly. Participants attend for as long as the group is useful for them.
In addition to our after school groups, we run intensive holiday programs in the July and January School Holidays. These programs comprise 2 hour group sessions over three days. We will email you information about these programs a month or so before they happen.
Our groups are held at our clinic in Caulfield South, Melbourne. We also run some groups via zoom.
Social Interaction Groups
The groups work on a vast array of areas involving social communication, depending on each person's needs, taken from the intake paperwork you complete, as well as any specific goals that you would like addressed.
We work on areas such as:
- How to work cooperatively in a group by sharing ideas and listening to others' suggestions
- How to resolve conflict that arises with peers e.g. a peer is doing something that annoys us or we don’t like, what to say and do in that moment
- Helping us understand our perspectives and others perspectives too
- Emotional Regulation, how to manage our feelings when we are upset or angry
- Conversation, including taking an interest in others, and how to keep the conversation going
- Play, how to approach others to play and keep the play going
- Growth mindset and being willing to give things a go, especially things we perceive as challenging or that make us feel unsure
- What makes us unique and celebrating our individual qualities and strengths to feel confident in ourselves
These are just some of the areas we work on. We work on these areas in a fun and relaxed environment, through lots of games and activities that the participants enjoy and that mimic real life situations.
If you have any questions feel free to give us a call on 0422 295 513