Sue Nott was a native of Vail, Colorado, and began climbing rock and ice at the age of 20. It was her drive, focused direction and experience that lead her to become one of the world’s top women alpine climbers. But it was her lust for life and infectious energy that left a permanent impression on everyone she met. Whether it was teaching a clinic, traveling abroad, in a restaurant or even competing against others, her warmth, energy and good natured spirit affected everyone.
For two years Sue was also an instructor for the Michigan Ice Fest teaching our women’s courses. Unfortunately, Sue was killed while attempting the Infinite Spur on Mt. Foraker in Alaska in the spring of 2006. In honor of Sue, Down Wind Sports has created the Sue Nott Scholarship Fund. The purpose of the scholarship is to promote, inspire, and introduce young females to the sport of ice climbing. One scholarship will be awarded every year for female’s age 9-17 years old. The scholarship will include admission to the ice fest, instruction in the women’s course, as well as some other surprises!
To Apply the applicant will need to fill out the following form with:
1. Their Personal Information
2. The information of their guardian
3. A short written explanation of why they are interested in ice climbing and the Michigan Ice Fest.
4. A photo of their most recent report card. Applications will not be based on the best grades but that students are trying hard and making an effort at school.
5. A letter of support from someone other then the applicant’s guardian.
The Deadline for applications will be January 5th.