We agree to participate in the Bridge the Gap Program (BTG Program) in accordance with its rules and regulations as may be amended from time to time. We understand that the BTG Program is comprised of a curriculum that includes seven credits of structured CLE classes and five credits earned through activities with the mentor. We acknowledge the specific objectives of the BTG Program:
• To enculturate the highest intrinsic values of ethical and professional conduct by facilitating membership and networking within the broader legal community.
• To assist new lawyers in acquiring the practical skills and judgment necessary to practice in a highly competent manner.
• To facilitate cultural competence, ensuring professional services to the state’s diverse population.
• To introduce support and assistance resources for self-regulation and healthy life-balancing.
• To establish professional connections to support lifelong learning and active participation in improving the profession. We have reviewed Rule 24-110, specifically section I. Conflicts and confidentiality in outside mentoring, and will abide by this Rule in full. We acknowledge and will abide by the following BTG Program rules:
• Any communication between the mentor and the new lawyer arising out of participation in the BTG Program is for the sole purpose of guiding and teaching the new lawyer about the practice of law and the issues that the new lawyer is likely to face in the practice oflaw.
• Unless otherwise agreed, and subject to the Rules of Professional Conduct, the mentor will not assume any liability or responsibility with respect to any legal matter of the new lawyer’s clients, nor will the mentor render professional services to or take any responsibility for any aspect of representation of the new lawyer’s clients.
• The New Lawyer shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless, the mentor, the Commission on Professionalism, the State Bar of New Mexico and the New Mexico Supreme Court, along with respective commissioners, employees, volunteers and agents, from all actions, proceedings, claims, demands, costs, damages, attorney’s fees, and all other liabilities and expenses of any kind from any source which may arise out of the performance of this agreement.
We hereby certify that we have read the above Bridge the Gap Mentorship Agreement and agree to its terms.
We also certify that we, the new lawyer and mentor, do not have a direct supervisory relationship.