Competition Rules and Information
1. The competition is open to instrumentalists and vocalists in grades 6-12 who reside in Wayne, Randolph, Henry, Fayette, Franklin, or Union counties in Indiana or in Preble or Darke counties in Ohio. Participants can also be students of contracted Richmond Symphony Orchestra musicians.
2. A candidate may enter in only one field in a given year. The first prize winner may not enter the competition the next year.
3. Instrumental performers should prepare a maximum of 5-minutes of a movement of a major work for their instrument; an orchestral accompaniment must be available. Vocal performers should prepare an aria from an opera or oratorio, or a selection from a song cycle; an orchestral accompaniment must be available. A second piano will be available onstage for piano contestants.
4. Memorization is not required. Students may use music for audition and performance.
5. As a preliminary step, all entrants must submit a VIDEO performance of their audition piece with piano accompaniment. Cell phone video recordings are acceptable and should be placed on YouTube or Vimeo. If either is a private channel, be sure to include the password and link. CDs, DVDs and cassette tapes will not be accepted.
6. All recordings will be reviewed by the RSO Music Director prior to acceptance into the live competition. Candidates will be notified of their acceptance into the live competition and their performance time by email, at the email address used by the candidate to submit their entry materials.
7. An application fee of $15.00 must accompany each entry form.
8. Entry form, fee, and audition recording must be received in the RSO office no later than 4:00 pm Friday, September 28, 2018.