Tails Foster Contract
Please read through the entire contract below. By submitting this form, you agree to these terms.
1. Tails will determine the criteria for fostering, decide which animals will be fostered, and appoint foster caregivers from a pre-approved list.
2. Tails’ staff will inform you of any medical treatments to be given, the expected length of the foster care period, the objectives of the care (restoring to health, rearing to adoptable age, socializing, etc.) and any other expectations we have.
3. Tails must euthanize some animals. It is possible that an animal you have cared for may be euthanized if it becomes extremely sick or exhibits behavior problems making the animal unsuitable for adoptive placement. It is important that you feel able to cope with this possibility.
4. Tails retains ownership of all animals in foster care and will make all decisions regarding the adoption or euthanasia of the animals fostered.
5. Tails’ staff or approved volunteers will handle all adoptions.
6. Tails will provide all medical services and medications for animals within our foster program; expenses incurred by you in connection with medical care provided to the foster animal by any other veterinarian will be paid by Tails only if you sought and received prior authorization for such care.
7. You agree to foster exclusively for Tails Humane Society and no other organization.
8. Tails will accommodate any request from you to remove a fostered animal from your home within 24 hours of your contacting Tails and requesting the removal.
9. You may refuse any specific request to foster for timing or other reasons, without losing your status as an approved foster home solely for making such refusal.
10. You agree to keep any animal you foster secure, to always use a leash or pet carrier when the animal is outside your home (unless secured in a fenced enclosure which has been approved by Tails for use with the specific animal being fostered), to promptly administer any medications prescribed by the Tails medical staff for the animal, to provide humane care and treatment appropriate for the health, age and species of the animal being fostered and to follow all instructions given by Tails staff for the specific care needs of the animal(s) for whom you provide foster care.
11. You agree to return any fostered animal to Tails when requested to do so.
12. You agree not to promise the animal to anyone, nor to assume that you have the authority to approve a potential adoption.
13. You understand and agree that although Tails takes reasonable care to screen animals for foster care placement, it makes no guarantees relating to the animals’ health, behavior or actions.
14. You understand and agree that you receive foster care animals at your own risk and can reject or return any animals for which Tails has asked you to provide care.
15. You agree that you assume the risks of being bitten, scratched, injured or frightened by the animals in connection with your fostering activities for Tails.
16. You acknowledge that Tails is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury suffered by you, members of your household, or any third parties during a foster placement and you assume liability to provide adequate controls to prevent such damage or injury.
17. You agree that Tails is not liable to you for any injuries, damages, liabilities, losses, judgments, costs or expenses whatsoever, which you might suffer or sustain in connection with the performance of your fostering activities for Tails, unless they are the result of Tails’ gross negligence or intentional misconduct.
18. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Tails harmless from and against any claims, lawsuits, injuries, damages, losses, costs or expenses whatsoever, sustained by any companion animal or any person in connection with your intentional misconduct or grossly negligent performance of your fostering activities for Tails.
19. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Tails harmless from and against any claims, lawsuits, injuries, damages, losses, costs or expenses whatsoever, sustained by any companion animal or any person in connection with your breach of Tails’ rules, regulations, policies and programs.
20. You understand that Tails requires that your own animals be current on routine vaccinations, and you agree to provide proof of such vaccinations and to have such vaccinations brought current if not presently so.
21. You understand that Tails requires that your own animals, if over 6 months of age, must be spayed or neutered in order for you to be a foster home, and you agree to have such surgery performed prior to placement of a foster animal in your home if not already accomplished.
22. You understand that Tails requires that your own animals have no known history of aggression toward other animals of the species that will be fostered, and you agree that if such act(s) of aggression should occur after the signing of this agreement, that you will promptly notify Tails.
23. You understand that Tails may require a period of time during which an animal placed with you for foster care must be kept separate from your own animals, and you agree to abide by such requirements as conveyed to you at the time of placement or during the placement.
24. You consent to Tails visiting your home or business from time to time to observe the animals you foster and their living quarters and conditions.
25. You agree that only you, a spouse or roommate may care for the fostered animal in your absence from home and that you may not leave the fostered animal with a friend, relative or hired individual to provide care in your absence without advance approval from Tails.
26. You agree that this Contract represents the entire agreement between Tails and you, and supersedes any prior understandings between you and Tails with respect to your fostering activities. No modification of this agreement will be valid unless in writing and signed by both you and Tails.
27. You agree that this Contract is binding on you and your successors, heirs, assigns, executors and personal representatives.
28. You agree that this Contract and any disputes arising therefrom will be governed by the laws of the State of Illinois, and that in the event of a legal dispute in regard to this Contract, the venue for the filing and pursuit of any lawsuit by either party to this Contract against the other is DeKalb County, Illinois.