The mission of the Yancey Humane Society is to shelter, rehabilitate and adopt the stray and unwanted dogs and cats of Yancey County into permanent loving homes, provide compassionate, humane and educational services to improve animal welfare in Yancey County, enhance the lives of companion animals in the community and prevent the cruelty of animals in Yancey County.
As you consider this opportunity, please familiarize yourself with this list of expectations.
As a Board Member,
- I will interpret the organization’s work and values to the community and promote the organization.
- I will attend at least 75% of board meetings (times may vary: currently the third Wednesday of the month at 5:00 pm at the Yancey Library).
- I will actively participate in fundraising activities and special events.
- I will act in the best interest of the organization and excuse myself from discussion and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
- I will familiarize myself and take seriously the legal responsibilities of serving on a board, including and especially the fiduciary role.
- I will stay informed about what’s going on in the organization. I will ask questions and request information. I will participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies and other board matters.
- I will work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners towards achievement of our goals.
- I will diligently honor the confidentiality agreement that I will sign should I be selected as a board member.