Position Description for the Technical Director for
The Point Theatre at the Hill Country Arts Foundation
Job Title: Technical Director
Job begins May 1, 2019
To manage the operation of all technical theatre functions and maintain the high standards of the Hill Country Arts Foundation with the goal of using professional technical abilities to achieve consistently high-quality, cost-efficient programs that are appealing to and educational for both the participants and audience.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for set construction, lighting, sound, and other technical aspects necessary to support theatre productions, special events, and programs throughout the campus.
· Oversee all technical aspects of performing arts productions, programs, and operations to ensure adherence to HCAF’s standards of quality and safety, budgets, and efficient use of equipment and resources.
· Work with Director of Theatre to establish production plans and schedules for all technical aspects of theatre department programs and ensure adherence to schedules.
· Ensure that all contract labor adheres to timelines, schedules, and budgets.
· Ensure staff and volunteers observe good housekeeping practices before and after productions.
· Assist Director of Theatre with the recruitment of summer interns.
· Directly supervise and train technical theatre interns and ensure that they adhere to all aforementioned standards and schedules.
· Program and operate light/sound boards or procure light/sound board operators as well as any additional technicians needed for a production (i.e. follow-spot operators, backstage crew, etc.)
· Assist in grounds and facilities maintenance.
· Care for shop cats.
· All other duties as assigned.
· Work with Director of Theatre and Executive Director to develop annual technical theatre department budget.
· Follow procedures to ensure the most favorable costs are obtained before making purchases.
· Ensure that current inventory of theatre equipment and property is maintained.
· Establish procedures to provide for the security, maintenance, and proper and safe use of all theatre equipment and facilities.
· Provide safety and general conduct orientation for individuals involved in all performances and ensure that established rules and guidelines are followed.
· Attend staff meetings, training sessions, and board meetings as required.
· Perform other duties as may be necessary to meet mission demands, achieve efficiency of operation or to provide customer service satisfaction
· Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre Arts with an emphasis in technical theatre or commensurate experience.
· Successful experience in a technical theatre position.
· Self-starter with good judgement and problem-solving skills and abilities
· Effective communication skills
· Customer-service oriented
· Ability to recruit, motivate, and retain volunteers.
· This position often requires work in temperature extremes, at heights, and in cramped areas. The nature of the position at times requires long hours and late nights.
· This position requires the ability to lift, climb ladders, and crawl under various objects.
· Technical Theater interns.
Salary - $25,000 (negotiable based on experience) + Benefits
Technical Director 11/27/2018