Transfer Request Process
Student Transfer Request Forms may be submitted from the first Thursday in January after the holiday break through the last day of school in the preceding year for which the transfer is requested. Students must be currently enrolled in MHUSD to apply for a transfer. Any request submitted prior to enrollment will be denied.
All transfer requests will remain in a "pending" status until the parent/guardian is notified by the Enrollment Center of the approval of the request. If a request is denied for cause, the parent/guardian will receive an email notification including the reason for denial.
While MHUSD believes strongly in the importance of neighborhood schools, we attempt to accommodate as many transfer requests as possible each year.
Transfers will be reviewed beginning in early March to determine if schools/grades will be included in the lottery process. Parents will receive email updates regarding the status of their transfer request and the lottery process by the end of March.
Transfer Requests will be accepted through June 5, 2020 and will be processed through August 12, 2020. All transfers will expire on the first day of school. If you have not received confirmation that your transfer request has been approved, your child should report to their school of residence on the first day of school.
Additional forms may be submitted if you would like to be considered for more than one school. To do so, complete this form and use the link on the Submission Confirmation page. No more than 3 requests will be accepted. Additional requests submitted will be denied.
Please note the following regarding our transfer request process:
1) The District retains the right to maintain appropriate balances among schools.
2) Although we try to keep siblings together whenever possible, approval of one sibling does not guarantee approval of subsequent sibling transfer requests.
3) Parents who decline placement must do so within 3 days. Failure to decline within 3 days will result in the transfer school becoming the student's home school. An additional transfer will need to be submitted to request a transfer to another school or to return to the school of residence.
4) If requests for multiple schools are submitted, acceptance of one school does not invalidate additional school requests. Parents may be given additional school choices as openings at other requested schools become available.
5) An approved placement is automatically renewed each year. Once a student enrolls in a school under this policy, he/she is deemed to be a resident of that school until finishing the last grade level of that school. Students who would like to return to their school of residence or attend another school must apply through the transfer request process. Those who transfer from a K-8 academy to a K-5 school are not automatically granted a return to their school of residence in 6th grade and will matriculate to our traditional middle schools. A transfer request must be submitted to return to a K-8 academy as space is extremely limited.
6) The District does not provide transportation outside of a school's established attendance area for any transfer requests.
7) If a student leaves the district, their approved transfer request becomes null and void. Should the student return, they must re-enroll at their school of residence and complete a transfer request during the transfer request submission window if another school is desired.
8) Many factors are considered when approving transfer requests including class capacity, sibling placement, special education services availability, previous enrollment in MHUSD, student discipline, attendance, etc. Requests for students with attendance below 90% will be denied. Requests for students with discipline records in the last 12 months will be denied.
9) Transfer requests are only granted for TK students if a sibling currently attends the requested school. All other TK transfers will be cancelled.
If you have questions about your transfer request, you can contact the Enrollment Center at email@example.com or (408)201-6030.