Early Music America offers awards annually to support projects for children or adults by ensembles and individual artists. The awards are intended to promote awareness and appreciation of early music and historical performance. EMA's goal is to draw new audiences and participants to early music. More specifically, engagement includes, but is not limited to, the following:
Early music activities that focus on children, in or out of school.
Early music activities in public and private schools.
Lifelong learning courses on early music.
Web, TV, radio, DVD or other creative activities that advance public awareness and enjoyment of early music.
Early music ensembles or organizations that reach underserved audiences and populations and historically underfunded racial or ethnic identity groups, especially African/Black, Latinx, Asian/South Asian, Arab/Middle Eastern, and Native American communities.
1) Early Music America membership is required of all applicants:
Applications for a project by an institution must be made by an organization member on the institution's behalf.
Historical performance students qualify for a one-year complimentary student membership.
If you are unsure of your membership status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Each applicant may submit no more than one proposal per year. Award recipients will not be eligible to apply again until the third year following their award (for example, if you apply in 2019 and are successful, you can re-apply in 2022).
3) EMA board members and staff are not eligible to apply.
4) Awards will be granted for projects taking place July 1, 2019-March 31, 2020.
5) Projects must take place in North America in order to receive award funding.
Application Instructions and Information
1) Completed online application forms must be submitted by Monday, April 8, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET.
2) Award amounts range from $1,000 to $1,500 to any individual or organization.
3) Award announcements will be made by Friday, May 3, 2019.
4) Questions may be sent to EMA at email@example.com.
We highly encourage you to submit your application several days prior to the deadline, so we can resolve any issues in a timely matter. We will not be able to accept any applications after the deadline has passed.