Montreat Small Group Leader Application
The youth who attend Montreat Youth & Middle School Conferences tell us that they love small group - a place where they can fit right in and share their journey of faith with their peers. They need outstanding Small Group Leaders (SGL) to facilitate this important experience - perhaps it’s YOU they need!
In addition to leading your small group:
• You may be asked to volunteer for conference tasks, recreation, registration, etc.
• You’ll be reimbursed for travel expenses (based on the conference center travel policy).
• You’ll receive on-site lodging and meals.
• You’ll have access to child care at Montreat site conferences (lodging and meals for children and family members are the financial responsibility of the SGL).
Expectations & Requirements of MYC & MSC 2019 Small Group Leaders
SGLs are needed for youth conferences on-site at Montreat and for the Middle School Conference at Maryville College in Maryville, TN. Montreat Conference Center is committed to selecting a wide range of persons who:
● Are members of denominations that relate to the World Communion of Reformed Churches (see member churches at www.wcrc.ch)
● Are 21 years of age by the time the conference begins
● Are experienced youth leaders (volunteer or professional)
● Ultimately value the experience our young people have – encountering God’s work, forming Christian community and growing in faith at Montreat – more than their own “Small Group Leader experience”
● Will be available and fully present for SGL training. See application for training times
● Will abide by the Montreat SGL Covenant included with this application.
The selection process of Small Group Leaders is composed of three major elements:
● The evaluation of experience working with youth
● The assessment of prior teaching and group leadership
● The recognition of an abiding Christian faith and prior service to the Church
Montreat staff work together to select SGLs that represent diverse geographical distribution, racial/ethnic diversity, and both paid and volunteer church leadership. We will work to fill Small Group Leadership in a way that reflects our commitment to diversity. In selecting Small Group Leaders, we take into account both the individual and the overall profile of a week’s leadership slate, distance traveled, and length of service/availability.
To apply, please fill out and submit the following SGL application.
Once all positions have been filled, applications will be placed on a waiting list. Please allow up to three-to-four weeks for your application to be reviewed. Wait for us to contact you after your reference has been contacted and responded back to us.
SGL manuals including complete details will be available in late spring 2019.
What is a Small Group Leader responsible for?
● Printing out your own copy of the Small Group Leader Manual and preparing your lessons prior to coming to Montreat for training
● Bringing a few specialty supplies as requested by MRA staff or Conference Directors
● Embracing the call and responsibility of serving as a Small Group Leader with energy, intelligence, imagination, and love
● Agreeing to and abiding by the Small Group Leader Covenant included in this application
● Covering costs of lodging, meals, and travel for children & family members and must be paid prior to your arrival. Family housing is given on a space available basis and won’t be made until two weeks prior to the conference
What is Montreat Conference Center responsible for?
● Covering the costs of the SGL’s travel according to the Montreat Conference Center travel policy (you will be given a copy of the policy if selected)
● Housing and meals during the conference. Small Group Leaders share a double room with another Small Group Leader. (At Middle School Conference, SGLs may choose to stay with their back home group.)
● Most of the supplies for the Small Group experience
● Preparing the Small Group Manual and providing a pdf to Small Group Leaders
● Covering the cost of the required background check
Covering costs of childcare during childcare hours (Montreat site only)