CAST OF CHARACTERS:
1. Annie: Sullen, self-absorbed twenty-something.
2. Old Lady: Chipper, cheerful, energetic, optimistic, endearing.
3. (2-4) Dancing boys from the 1960's
4. (2-4) Dancing girls from the 1960's
5. (4+) Vietnam soldiers
"Trial and Error"
NOTE: Characters may be cast as the opposite gender. Characters with an asterisk (*) may be cast as male or female.
1. Officer Ted, a sheriff as well as the bailiff that serves under Judge Peter to keep the peace in his courtroom.
2. *Judge Peters/Peters, a big grumpy man/woman that wants the trial to be done fast and smooth with no nonsense or contempt in court. He/She doesn’t like Mr. Brown all that much.
3. Mr. Brown, a less-than-successful lawyer who goes up against his rival Mr. Austin and the guilty party, hoping to get that one win and respect from everyone.
4. *Mr./Ms. Austin, Mr. Brown’s nemesis and a well-respected and known lawyer throughout Texas. He/She serves as the lawyer for the Onion Creek gang. His/Her nickname in the court is “Awesome Austin.”
5. Jedidiah “Spitz” Thurgood, first of the three members of the Onion Creek gang brought to trial for arson at the Anderson Ranch and letting loose their cattle. He lives up to his nickname.
6. Arthur Williams, second member of the posse, who is on trial for stealing from Mr. Al Anderson, whom he worked for. Despite his actions, he has a very peaceful, mellow tone to his voice and talks like a preacher.
7. Burt Furner, third member and leader of the Onion Creek gang with a foul mouth and rude attitude. He’s put on trial for the murder of Mr. Al Anderson, who was shot on his property.
8. Amy Anderson, widow of the late Al Anderson and a witness to the fire and murder.
9. Alvin Anderson, a young man who worked alongside Williams and witnessed the theft committed. Young Anderson has quite a mouth on him.
10. *Charlie, the only one that shows up to court for jury duty while everyone else in town has cholera and narrates the trial throughout the story.
"Mime for Hire"
1. *Mime - Hero of the story. He/she is a mime that is granted the power to mime anything he/she wants into reality. He/she is dressed like a traditional mime with a black and white striped shirt, a beret, and white face paint.
2. *Hobo – A hobo that introduces the play as well as various time-skips in various scenes. He/she is a sort of comic relief but doesn’t always do funny stuff. Is dressed in ratty hobo clothing.
3. Talent Agent (female) - A talent agent for a big and successful talent agency. She is southern and wearing a fancy black dress.
4. Little Girl - Spoiled daughter of Talent Agent. Roughly 8 years old.
*Other potential characters possible depending upon the selected scenes for the highlight*