A single award has been established in 2009 at the bequest of Madeleine Gauvin through funds from her estate.
This award may be used for:
1. Study Opportunities: lessons, summer program, university tuition, etc. The teachers of these programs do not need to be MRMTA members nor does the place of study need to be in Manitoba. Special consideration will be given to an applicant enrolling in a chamber music program, an area of special interest to Madeleine Gauvin;
2. Purchase of an Instrument and/or Bow
The following criteria, which combine merit and financial need, must be met:
a) Applicant eligibility is limited to those studying bowed, string instruments.
b) Applicant must be a resident of Manitoba.
c) Applicant must have been studying with a current MRMTA member for the last 6 months.
d) Applicant must be a minimum of 12 years but not exceeding 25 years of age prior to the application deadline.
e) Applicant must demonstrate financial need.
f) A receipt from the teacher/institute, music store/instrument seller must be submitted to the current Winnipeg Branch President upon completion of the course of study or instrument/bow purchase.
g) A progress report from the teacher must be submitted to the current Winnipeg Branch President during the period of study/use of the instrument; frequency/deadline of this report will be determined by the Scholarship Committee dependant on the receipent's use of the award.
h) A recipient may win this award only once and is not eligible to apply in subsequent years.
i) Application deadline is March 1 of the current year.
1. A copy of the applicant's birth certificate or other proof of age (e.g., passport, driver's licence)
2. A letter of recommendation from the current MRMTA teacher, including an assessment of the applicant's potential and commitment to practicing.
3. A letter from the applicant with a proposal of his/her plans to use this award, as well as outlining past music studies and future aspiration.
4. Anticipated costs of study/instruent, including demonstration of financial need (i.e., other financial resources such as work, parental or spousal support, other scholarships or bursaries, etc.)