Love Addiction Screening Test
Developed by: Pia Mellody & Patrick Carnes
If you can answer yes to more than a few of the following questions, you are probably a love addict. Remember that love addiction comes in many forms, so even if you don’t answer yes to all of the questions you may still be a love addict.
1. You are very needy when it comes to relationships.
2. You fall in love very easily and too quickly.
3. When you fall in love, you can't stop fantasizing - even to do important things. You can't help yourself.
4. Sometimes, when you are lonely and looking for companionship, you lower your standards and settle for less than you want or deserve.
5. When you are in a relationship, you tent to smother your partner.
6. More than once, you have gotten involved with someone who is unable to commit - hoping he or she will change.
7. Once you have bonded with someone, you can't let go.
8. When you are attracted to someone, you will ignore all the warning signs that this person is not good for you.
9. Initial attraction is more important to you than anything else when it comes to falling in love and choosing a partner. Falling in love over time does not appeal to you and is not an option.
10. When you are in love, you trust people who are not trustworthy The rest of the time you have a hard time trusting people.
11. When a relationship ends, you feel your life is over and more than once you have thought about suicide because of a failed relationship.
12. You take on more than your share of responsibility for the survival of a relationship.
13. Love and relationships are the only things that interest you.
14. In some of your relationships you were the only one in love.
15. You are overwhelmed with loneliness when you are not in love or in a relationship.
16. You cannot stand being alone. You do not enjoy your own company.
17. More than once, you have gotten involved with the wrong person to avoid being lonely.
18. You are terrified of never finding someone to love.
19. You feel inadequate if you are not in a relationship.
20. You cannot say no when you are in love or if your partner threatens to leave you.
21. You try very hard to be who your partner wants you to be. You will do anything to please him or her - even abandon yourself (sacrifice what you want, need, and value).
22. When you are in love, you only see what you want to see. You distort reality to quell anxiety and feed your fantasies.
23. You have a high tolerance for suffering in relationships. You are willing to suffer
neglect, depression, loneliness, dishonesty—even abuse—to avoid the pain of
separation anxiety (what you feel when you are not with someone you have
24. More than once, you have carried a torch for someone and it was agonizing.
25. You love romance. You have had more than one romantic interest at a time even
when it involved dishonesty.
26. You have stayed with an abusive person.
27. Fantasies about someone you love, even if he or she is unavailable, are more
important to you than meeting someone who is available.
28. You are terrified of being abandoned. Even the slightest rejection feels like
abandonment and it makes you feel horrible.
29. You chase after people who have rejected you and try desperately to change their
30. When you are in love, you are overly possessive and jealous.
31. More than once, you have neglected family or friends because of your relationship.
32. You have no impulse control when you are in love.
33. You feel an overwhelming need to check up on someone you are in love with.
34. More than once, you have spied on someone you are in love with.
35. You pursue someone you are in love with even if he or she is with another person.
36. If you are part of a love triangle (three people), you believe all is fair in love and
war. You do not walk away.
37. Love is the most important thing in the world to you.
38. Even if you are not in a relationship, you still fantasize about love all the time—
either someone you once loved or the perfect person who is going to come into
your life someday.
39. As far back as you can remember, you have been preoccupied with love and romantic
40. You feel powerless when you fall in love—as if you are in some kind of trance or
under a spell. You lose your ability to make wise choices.
Add up YES column
Add up NO column
To understand where you are on the spectrum of love addiction, please enter your contact information below so that we can email you the full report.
To schedule a session to talk about your test score call Rossana Sida at 323-633-6986.
Should be Empty:
Now create your own JotForm - It's free!
Create your own JotForm