Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Borrowers Agreement: Please read and acknowledge below
1. Book wrapper: your ILL will have a book wrapper attached to it. Please do not remove the book wrapper. It has important information on it for you: the due date, a special barcode, how to renew, and information about fines. In addition, if you return your ILL without the wrapper, your return may not be credited on your account.
2. Renewals: please contact the ILL staff person at your branch if you would like to renew your ILL. Please contact them 5 business days (Monday-Friday) BEFORE the due date. We need time to request the renewal and to hear back from the lender. You will NOT be able to renew your ILL yourself from your account or from the self-checkout machine.
3. Returns: Please return your ILL to a Newport News Public Library branch.
4. Fines: Overdue fines are charged for overdue ILL’s at $.50 per day after a 2-day grace period with a maximum charge of $15.00.
5. Recalls: the library that lent us your ILL has the right to recall your ILL at any time. If this happens, you will be notified by ILL staff and you will be asked to return the item within 5 days. You can work with the ILL staff to perhaps find another copy for you to borrow.
6. 30 Days Overdue, Damaged, Lost ILL’s:
Long overdue ILL's: If you do not return your ILL, and it becomes 30 days overdue, you will be charged the replacement cost of the item plus a processing fee. The lender determines the replacement cost and processing fees.
Damaged ILL’s: If it is apparent that your ILL has been damaged while checked out to you, we will contact the lender to determine a replacement cost and the charges will be added to your account.
Lost ILL’s: Notify ILL staff at your branch if you’ve lost your ILL and we will contact the lender to determine a replacement cost. If the ILL is found after it has been paid for, the lender will determine if a refund is available. If a refund is not available, then the ILL is yours to keep, after you pay the replacement cost and fees.