Deadline: July 1
We have altered the rules of what previously had been the Signs of the Times International Sign Contest. We have made an effort to both streamline and make them more fair. This interactive entry form will allow you to fill out project information, upload photos and pay the contest entry fee in a single process.
If you have any questions about the competition or form, please contact managing editor Mark Kissling at firstname.lastname@example.org or (513) 263-9399.
Rules, Divisions and Categories
1. Only sign companies may enter the competition. In the past, design firms and other non-sign company entities have entered for their design contribution to sign projects. Design firms and other non-sign companies wishing to enter their designs to the competition must do so through their sign company-fabricator partners.
2. Sign companies will compete in three divisions based on their numbers of full-time-equivalent employees: Small shops (1-9 employees), Medium shops (10-24 employees) and Large shops (25 or more employees).
3. There are four categories in which to compete:
Best Signshop-Designed and Fabricated Sign, Internally Illuminated
Best Signshop-Designed and Fabricated Sign, Not Internally Illuminated
Best Client-Designed, Signshop-Fabricated Sign, Internally Illuminated
Best Client-Designed, Signshop-Fabricated Sign, Not Internally Illuminated
4. Sign companies entering projects in the first two categories are required to have both designed the sign and fabricated it in house. Those entering projects in the second two categories will have received the design from the client or another outside agency (e.g. design firm) and then fabricated the sign in house. (The use of outside installers is permitted for all four categories.)
5. Sign companies may enter up to 3 projects only per category, 12 total (only if entering all four categories) for the competition. Please note that the fields for the 12 projects below are divided -- category one is for projects 1-3, category two for 4-6, category three for 7-9 and category 4 for 10-12.
6. Sign projects elegible for entry must have been completed between May 2018 and June 2019. No incomplete projects (i.e., designs only) may be entered.
7. Sign projects previously published in Signs of the Times magazine may not be entered.
8. Winners will be published in the September, 2019 issue of Signs of the Times.
9. Please complete all required fields on the entry form. Specify brand names for software, hardware, media and equipment used to design, fabricate and install the signs. Also provide a brief (25-50 word) description.
The entry fee is $10 per entry, up to $75 for 8-12 entries, 12 being the maximum.
Upload to this form at least 2 (at most 6) full-color, 300-dpi images that are 4 x 5 in. or larger (8 x 10 in. preferred). For internally illuminated signs installed outdoors, please include both day and night photos. ST will create a PowerPoint file for each category. Each project will be represented by a maxiumum of 5 photos in the PowerPoint. Please include images that feature the entire graphic, as well as close-up shots that emphasize detail. For best results, hire a professional photographer to shoot your work. ST Media Group Intl. retains the right to reproduce all images and descriptions for both editorial and marketing purposes.
The judges' final decisions will be based on the following criteria:
Craftsmanship (use of quality materials and methods)
Complexity (challenges faced in designing, fabricating and installing the graphics)
Artistic merit (aesthetic appeal of design and layout)
Winners will be notified via email, and their work will be published in a special, full-color section of the September 2019 issue and, subsequently, on signsofthetimes.com. First-, second- and third-place winners will receive 5 (five) copies of the contest issue. Honorable-mention designees will be awarded at the judges' discretion.
A red asterisk denotes a required field.