Department: Dining Services
Reports To: Dietary Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Date Updated: 8/2016
The Cook assures that resident meals and other nourishments are prepared, cooked, and apportioned according to authorized menus and individual care plans, and are served according to established schedules and procedures.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Prepares or directs the preparation of food items which are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
Adheres to written recipes, menus, and individual diet orders.
Prepares food items, special diets, snacks and nourishments according to establish schedules and meal times.
Labels and/or otherwise identifies meals, special diets, and nourishments with resident name, room number, or other identifier, to assure that each resident receives food in accordance with care plan, physician's orders, and resident preference.
Avoids waste of food items and dietary supplies.
Maintains sanitation and cleanliness of all kitchen equipment, utensils, counters, preparation and storage areas according to established schedules, facility and departmental policies for routine cleaning.
Labels, dates, and appropriately stores food items and leftovers immediately after use.
Assists in establishing and maintaining a perpetual inventory of food and supplies, immediately correcting any discrepancies or shortages.
Maintains strict compliance with established policies, practices, and standards regarding food preparation and storage.
Logs and records temperatures of food storage and refrigeration equipment as requested.
Assists in the orientation and on-the-job training of newly hired dietary staff members.
Actively participates in QAPI (Quality Assurance Process Improvement) program, taking a proactive approach to quality care and services on a continuous basis with engagement of residents, family members and staff.
Demonstrates high standards of excellence for meeting resident needs. Communicates effectively, establishes rapport and maintains relationships with residents.
· Meets requirement of regular attendance to perform job duties.
· Has fun in creating a positive atmosphere for residents.
· Follows instructions and completes daily assignments as assigned and is proactive to change.
· Possesses understanding and compassion for the elderly population.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
· High School Diploma or equivalency (preferred).
· Prior experience in food service or restaurant (preferred).
· CPR Certification (preferred).
Continuing Educational Requirement
· Required to complete annual 12-hour in-service training programs (as well as supplemental online education). Failure to complete the 12-hour in-service training program, or any other requirement under internal policies, local, state, or federal law may result in termination.
Physical Activity Requirements
· Lifting – Raise or lower objects up to 30 lbs. during food preparation and various other duties.
· Carrying – Carry objects up to 30 lbs. while assisting in general kitchen duties.
· Other physical requirements - twisting, bending, crawling, squatting, kneeling and crouching, standing and sitting. Must be able to be mobile in all kitchen areas.
Regulatory Compliance Requirements
· Report any arrest, charge, or conviction of a crime other than a traffic violation, and receipt of notice of any agency investigation or charge, including investigations relating to licensure, certification status, or dependent adult or child abuse within 24 hours of such charge, arrest, investigation, or other similar issue. Once notice of such issues have been received the employee may not perform any work functions or duties until clearance for return to work is granted by the Iowa Department of Human Services. Failure to report may result in termination.
· Understand resident rights and comply with these requirements at all times.
· Report reasonable beliefs a dependent adult has suffered dependent adult abuse by another employee, resident, family member, or visitor to the Administrator or DON (if Administrator is not on duty) upon incident.
· Report any information that may impact patient/resident care, including, but not limited to, violations of resident rights and HIPAA violations to his/her supervisor upon identification.