Reports To: Director of Nursing
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Date Updated: April 2016
The licensed practice nurse (LPN) is responsible for rendering nursing care in assigned area in terms of individualized client needs, according to dependent and independent nursing functions and conformance with recognized nursing techniques, procedures, and established standards based on the scope of practical nursing, under the direction/delegation of the registered nurse.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
· Utilizes nursing knowledge and skills in the safe implementation of basic preventative therapeutic and rehabilitative nursing care of assigned patient/family as evidenced by documentation and observation of positive patient care outcomes.
· Performs delegated independent nursing functions using established procedures, policies, guidelines and standards as observed by the registered nurse.
· Administers medications accurately, observing patient response, as evidenced by documentation in the medical record and lack of negative outcomes
· Maintains and coordinates communication among resident family members, staff and physician as evidenced within medical record, client and health care team feedback.
· Assists in assuring that effective communication exists with resident family members as reflected in the plan of care. Provides punctual change of shift report consisting of pertinent and relevant information for assigned patients.
· Works collaboratively with other members of the health care team in coordination of the patient's care as evidenced by other department feedback.
· Utilizes available written and technology systems specific to patient condition or disease.
· Utilizes appropriate teaching methods such as one-on-one and group instruction, demonstration or discussion.
· Assists residents, family members or other clients with concern and empathy; respect their confidentiality and privacy and communicate with them in a courteous and respectful manner.
· Answers and refers telephone calls or other inquires to ensure accurate and timely communications are facilitated.
· Meets requirement of regular attendance to perform job duties.
· Has fun in creating a positive atmosphere for residents in conjunction with our Core Values.
· Follows instructions and completes daily assignments as assigned and is proactive to change.
· Possesses understanding and compassion for the elderly population.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
· Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing.
· Completion of relevant state Board of Nursing approved.
· Current AHA Healthcare Provider training (BCLS).
· State of Iowa LPN licensure by the Iowa Board of Nursing (required).
· LPN Supervisory Course (within 6 months of hire)
· CPR Certification (required)
Continuing Educational Requirement
· Required to complete annual 12-hour in-service training programs (as well as supplemental online education). Failure to complete the 12-hour in-service training program, or any other requirement under internal policies, local, state, or federal law may result in termination